Sign in to follow this  
JD4120

How Much Content Between Ads/Images

51 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Rules have always been you bring your own 6-pack and share with the group.

I had better bring two then.  The day I have ahead of me is at least a 6-pack.  

I do have a real question.  When setting up your website, is there a rule of thumb about how much content and then maybe an ad or image to break it up?  I have no plans on having one of those sites that's so full of stupid ads that you wait until the sucker loads and struggle to actually read the content.  I just don't want my pages to look like one big long text.  

Lou

SEMrush

2 hours ago, JD4120 said:

I do have a real question.  When setting up your website, is there a rule of thumb about how much content and then maybe an ad or image to break it up?  I have no plans on having one of those sites that's so full of stupid ads that you wait until the sucker loads and struggle to actually read the content.  I just don't want my pages to look like one big long text.  

Lou

I pulled this out into a separate thread so that we don't get too off track in that one.

I don't think there really is an absolute rule on this. Depending on how long the paragraphs are on a page, I like to have something breaking them up every 2-3 paragraphs. Along with images, ads, or videos, I will also use quotes from the text like you see on a lot of news articles. I guess they are more of an excerpt than a quote. They usually have larger font and some sort of eye-catching line or two from the article. Sometimes they are off to the side. Sometimes they are between paragraphs.

Maybe some others will chime in on what they like to do.

20 hours ago, JD4120 said:

Lou

Hi Lou! 

My rule is more of a personal preference but to break up content, I use a thinner ad, more like a banner style.  Lower in the content I'll use an image (will be using videos soon as well).  

I also use a mix of bolded text, italicized text and like Mike mentioned above, some quotes.  If I want to make a point, I like bold text that's written in red.  

You are smart to not want the wall of text look and I agree, pages with way too many ads, suck!  They're distracting, annoying and never relevant to the content but used more as a 'stay on my page and search something else'.  Another thing that helps keep your visitors on your site is internal linking.  

Hope that helped some!  

~ Theresa  

20 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I pulled this out into a separate thread so that we don't get too off track in that one.

LOL... thank you!  Rule # 1 for new kids.. don't derail a thread!  oops.  

21 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

don't think there really is an absolute rule on this. Depending on how long the paragraphs are on a page, I like to have something breaking them up every 2-3 paragraphs. Along with images, ads, or videos, I will also use quotes from the text like you see on a lot of news articles. I guess they are more of an excerpt than a quote. They usually have larger font and some sort of eye-catching line or two from the article. Sometimes they are off to the side. Sometimes they are between paragraphs.

Good info, thanks.  I really like the 2-3 paragraphs suggestion.  While experimenting today I noticed my text was too far across the page.  I prefer the look of block rather than spread out.  Took me a while but I figured out how to widen the right side bar.  Fixed.  

Somewhere in the page on content, do you recommend an image type thing for call to action?  Like, sign up for my newsletter, free report and such?  I've seen that done and wondering if it's a good thing?  I also like the floating subscribe dohicky but I have to figure that one out.  

Lou

4 minutes ago, JD4120 said:

LOL... thank you!  Rule # 1 for new kids.. don't derail a thread!  oops.  

Good info, thanks.  I really like the 2-3 paragraphs suggestion.  While experimenting today I noticed my text was too far across the page.  I prefer the look of block rather than spread out.  Took me a while but I figured out how to widen the right side bar.  Fixed.  

Somewhere in the page on content, do you recommend an image type thing for call to action?  Like, sign up for my newsletter, free report and such?  I've seen that done and wondering if it's a good thing?  I also like the floating subscribe dohicky but I have to figure that one out.  

Lou

I like having a call to action that stays in front of people as much as possible. A floating signup form in the sidebar is great.