Hello all: 

I wanted to share something that I have been using in my business that has been quite successful. I'm sure it's pretty common, but some may not have heard of it. In my company, we call them Brag Alerts. What I did was start a group text that included everyone in the company that was involved in sales. When someone completes a sale, they respond to the text with their sales amount and maybe some details. In the past, this has created a lot of competition among my most successful salespeople. The low performers hate being included on the group text because they say it's a distraction. It sometimes gets very active. 

I was wondering if anyone else here uses this for their staff or with their clients. Is this a positive things, or are their too many pitfalls when using this technique to attempt to motivate? Could the activity on the group text be too much of a distraction?

SEMrush

I like the idea. I wouldn't worry about the low flyers. In most sales positions, they either start selling or they usually see themselves out the door. There are a lot of top salespeople that thrive off of recognition and/or competition. I'd be more worried about motivating them than worrying about those who don't like it.

A distraction? Lol. It takes 5 seconds to read a text. If that is what is keeping them from making more sales, they have bigger problems.

Plus, they could opt out of it if they wanted to, right?

1 hour ago, Mike Friedman said:

I like the idea. I wouldn't worry about the low flyers. In most sales positions, they either start selling or they usually see themselves out the door. There are a lot of top salespeople that thrive off of recognition and/or competition. I'd be more worried about motivating them than worrying about those who don't like it.

A distraction? Lol. It takes 5 seconds to read a text. If that is what is keeping them from making more sales, they have bigger problems.

Plus, they could opt out of it if they wanted to, right?

Some days, it’s a lot of text. Sometimes there are 30-40 brags a day. Those brags typically illicits congratulations or competing jabs from others. At times, it’s a few hundred text. 

We have had some people opt out of the text, but they typically opt out of the job not long after. 

18 minutes ago, Robert Broome said:

Some days, it’s a lot of text. Sometimes there are 30-40 brags a day. Those brags typically illicits congratulations or competing jabs from others. At times, it’s a few hundred text. 

We have had some people opt out of the text, but they typically opt out of the job not long after. 

That is awesome that you are getting that much activity on it. I wouldn't change a thing.