MarcDantes

Getting the job after Internship - what should I do?

Hello,

I am quite new here and I would appreciate the advice of the experienced guys. I am an international student, studying in one of the Scandinavian countries. Usually it is extremely difficult to get internship placement because of language barrier. Somehow, I got lucky after sending out 70 applications, I got a placement with a marketing agency basically due to SEO skills that I learnt since I joined this forum and elsewhere. I will be resuming at the agency in about two weeks and I got the signed contract today. It is unpaid but I need the experience.

My duties are stated as follow:

Onsite/Offsite optimization of internal company website

Adwords account management

Social Media Paid Ads Management

Social Media Post Creation

Reporting and Analytics

The only aspect I have some knowledge about is the SEO part, I believe they will train me on the other aspect as I clearly told them during the interview that I have never done any paid ads or run any social media campaign before. The company usually hire interns that perform really well and I would like to get hired at the end of my internship with them as I currently work part time as a cleaner to pay my bills. As international student, it's usually difficult to get professional jobs here.

Here are my questions:

1. What do I have to do achieve my goal? I would also like the advice of those that currently own an agency too.

2. What do I have to do to increase traffic to an agency website? The website currently get an average of 100 visitors monthly.

3. How/Where do I learn paid advertising and social media marketing?

Kind regards

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Honestly, what I would do is make sure you have a clear understanding of what is expected of you and do that to the best of your ability.

They clearly are not looking for someone that already knows how to do paid advertising or social media marketing or they would not have hired you. They likely want someone they can train who is not coming in with a headful of ideas on what should be done. 

I can tell you my ideas on SEO, paid advertising, and social media marketing, but some of them may conflict with what their philosophies are. That will just hurt your chances, rather than help them.

If they wanted an expert or at least someone with experience, they would have hired one. They hired an intern because they want to shape and mold them, and likely because they want cheap labor.

So really, I would just sit down with whoever is in charge of you and make sure you know exactly what is expected of you. I would also make sure they know you desire a position beyond the internship.