Sign in to follow this  
HeySal

Answers for computer issue?

A few weeks back my sister got caught in that scam where a page pops up and tells you not to do anything until you call microsoft, yadda yadda.  So she did call - she gave them remote access to "look around" and then they told her it would be $300 to fix it.  At that point she started asking the right questions.  

So she got off the phone and back on her computer without shucking out those bucks............but now the thing turns itself on some nights.  She's  losing one or two things on her computer, too -- just lost her desktop wallpaper. 

I've run a tdsskiller scan on it and there are no rootkits.  I think the remote access has to be turned off -- but not sure if I can just get a dcombobulator to do that. Does MS still use dcom for remote?  My nephew built her machine and I'm not sure how to get to remote if I can't do it via the dcombobulator. 

Anything anyone can tell me to stop this from going on? 

SEMrush

I don't have a specific answer but just some solutions about that specific unclosable window and for those like it. First, Microsoft never dish out popup windows like that or send unsolicited emails, so it's always a scam to extort money or gain access..  Ctrl/Alt/Delete is the only way to close windows like that, you can close the browser that way. And the last bit is a recent development. Use Chrome only to browse. Recently they implemented a big improvement to browsing. You can now "Always" just close windows like that in the normal way. No other browser allows for this in my experience.

You have not said what version of Windows this is?

She's on windows 10.  But it's too late to worry about the popup page messages.  The problem now is that the computer turns itself on and seems to be deleting a few things here and there.  I just wish I'd known before she got on the phone with those thieves and am glad as hell she was at least sharp enough not to give them any money.  

My nephew is an engineer at Intel and he built this computer for her so it's got some quirky programs that I have no idea what they are.  He's supposed to come fix it tomorrow, but if he can't make it down here, I'll be doing a few things to it - like run malwarebytes and turn off the remote - or the main remote.  Not sure if he's built in a second one somewhere.  

Yes, Sal l had that crap on my old laptop repeatedly, and tried popup blockers that worked for a while then became ineffective.

Also tried Norton and Malware, and anything else l could find, but unfortunately it is a b***ch of a thing to get rid off.

I would recommend installing a popup blocker that should block it til your nephew can take a look.

As for your computer behaving in a weird way, yep you need to turn off remote access

I an not familiar with w10, but this shows you were to go...

But when l had this nightmare popup show up on Windows 7 home, it didn't remove, etc any files, only bring up the "Your Computer will Collapse in a Heap, unless You Ring this number" or some such crap.

And it is possible to remove it, just as long as you can refresh the page and click on NO, or the cross quick enough.

B)

My nephew came out and fixed it.  There was one problem program on there that was also a problem that I wouldn't have known to clean up.  

I'm pretty sure if she'd just shut down without calling them that it wouldn't have gotten so far.   Andy showed her a few things so she'd know better in similar circumstances if they ever should arise again.