Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

What is Everyone Doing to Comply With the New GDPR Law in the EU?

There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the new General Data Protection Regulation that goes into effect on May 25th.

I have seen a range of responses from business owners sending out new opt-ins to their email lists and using obnoxious pop-ups to the other end of the spectrum where businesses are just ignoring it.

I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on this and what you are doing in your business.

Web Hosting

11 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the new General Data Protection Regulation that goes into effect on May 25th.

I have seen a range of responses from business owners sending out new opt-ins to their email lists and using obnoxious pop-ups to the other end of the spectrum where businesses are just ignoring it.

I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on this and what you are doing in your business.

All I am concerned about:

For a US business, only users who are from the EU are affected.

As far as email marketing, if they didn't double opt in, you're screwed if they audit you (unlikely.) Why you are not relying on double opt ins in 2018 is beyond me... Some bots will auto fill in a random email and they flood your list out with junk email addresses that bounce...

Cold email to sell products might now be a bad idea if you target people in the EU. It's still fine if they provide an email to contact, I'm not sure if tools like Voila Norbert and Hunter are okay, and supposedly you're not supposed to do any followups.

Cold email for the purpose of earning links is still fine if you are doing it right. So; comply with CanSpam, 2 step approach, no automated templates like pitchbox/ninja outreach/mailshake to addresses in the EU, no automated generic followups, always personalize the email, and always send an email specifically customized for them. (I understand that SEOs that work with clients might like the automation, but if it's your own site, the automation doesn't really make sense; it's too ineffective and you piss off people you want links from later. Also, I tested manual followups that went like "Hey I just noticed that you tweeted about how you like teddy bears. Did you happen to get my email that I sent you last week?" and they were much more effective than templates...) If you're trying to build an authority site, all that really matters is the effectiveness compared to the number of contacts you have. You're going to run out of prospects eventually so it doesn't make sense to pull .5%-2% on a campaign and piss off 10% of the contacts. Note: The GDRP doesn't actually regulate cold email, I'm just trying to get some reasonably good advice in here.

Don't sell your list/cold email prospects.

I'm still reading through the details, but this primarily has to do with how you collect and manage user data. If you're not doing that (say, like Facebook), then it's not much of an issue for you. 

The sky is not falling...

For example, you're required to provide a mechanism that allows users to request you to delete their data and then comply with that request. However, if the data is collected as part of a sales transaction, then you are legally required to retain the salient information about the transaction. 

Honestly, I'm not sure that it could be easily enforced - time will tell. 

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

Honestly, I'm not sure that it could be easily enforced - time will tell. 

My expectation is that it is going to be very selectively enforced. They basically want this regulation on the books so they can after big violators even harder.

Has anyone heard of them going after any violators yet?

Only thing I really needed to do was update some cookie info on privacy pages of a few sites that happen to get European traffic. I'm not targeting them, but it took all of about 20 minutes to do. Figured why not.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:26 AM, 100DegreesC said:

Has anyone heard of them going after any violators yet?

Only thing I really needed to do was update some cookie info on privacy pages of a few sites that happen to get European traffic. I'm not targeting them, but it took all of about 20 minutes to do. Figured why not.

Nope, haven't heard any.