Sign in to follow this  
HeySal

Targeted Ads

I'm sure everyone has experienced the phenomenon of talking to someone via skype or such and suddenly seeing ads for whatever they were talking about showing up everywhere........that's maddening as a potential customer. 

But.......

What I have noticed lately since I've been doing more of my shopping online is that the ads I am seeing are for the exact things I just bought.  I bought a 3 month supply of liposomal high dose Vitamin C for example - and now everywhere I go online, I'm getting ads for the same product from the same company.  Do they really think I'm gonna buy another 3 months right off the bat.  And it's not just that item - it's everything I just bought is showing up in ads.   My feeling about this as a consumer is one thing - but what about the advertisers?   

How much are they paying to show these pretty much dead, useless ads?  That company has paid for at least a hundred of these useless PPV ads.  Doesn't targeting of this sort just go a tad too far?  If you were paying for targeted advertising and you found out that the people getting the ads had already bought the items, would you feel ripped off?