Sign in to follow this  
mki

Tip: Google Tag Manager and Retargeting Ads

Problem: You don't want people who instantly bounced to be in your retargeting audience.

The solution to this is to use Google Tag Manager.

You can setup GTM so your pixels fire after say 15-30 seconds (it depends on the situation what amount of time is better.)

Here's a good guide:

https://ventin.co/delay-pixel-landing-page-eliminate-bounce-traffic-using-google-tag-manger/

Tip: Tag Assistant does not tell you that the Facebook tag fired, you'll have to press f12 and verify that it fired in the network tab.

If you see fbevents.js in the log, it works.

I spent about an hour trying to figure out why the tag wasn't firing and it was working perfectly.

Tip 2: If you've never used GTM before, be prepared for a super fun time. I setup GTM for my new site today and it took 4 hours to setup, granted, I do some more advanced things like tracking clicks to external sites in Google Analytics. Thankfully there's a plugin for Wordpress called "Google Tag Manager for Wordpress" that worked with my theme. Usually, it doesn't and I have to edit the theme files. So depending on what you want to do with it, you can just use it for the retargeting pixels, or you can implement a bunch of Google Analytics tweaks. There's a bunch of good content about that over at https://www.lunametrics.com/

My personal implementation was a little bit tricky because I have sections of my site where I want the pixel to drop quickly and others where I want it to fire after 30 seconds. I also want the pixels to drop instantly on the thank you page, so I can exclude them in the audience. I also have 2 copies of wordpress installed. One is for the public site that I want showing up in Google, the other is installed in a directory and forbids all search engines.