Sign in to follow this  
Robert Broome

Local Ranking Factors

Hello all, I have a site that I've had live for a few years. I've built citations, purchased a Yext listing, and built about 100 do follow back links. Some are directories. Others are links from articles from blogger outreach. The link profile looks very favorable compared to local competitors because most local competitors have almost no links. 

Sadly, the site gets traffic out of my local area, but it will not rank for any local keywords. The target keyword on the home page is on page 6. 

I've optimized the page title, h1, and meta. I've also added structured data to the footer with the address, phone number, etc. 

I know this is a broad question, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help is appreciated. 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

The pro site has json schema in the <head> but the footer address is plain HTML, no schema code. The json is targeting "Organization" when I'd be targeting "hxxp://schema.org/LocalBusiness" (with microdata).

Personally I prefer microdata in the HTML, just easier to use IMO and easy to reverse engineer on competition (what's working in the SERPs).

Looks like you've got too much emphasis on the keyword "pella", unless it actually delivers local traffic.

You're very repetitive on the <h2> heading tags ("What Our Clients Are Saying" x5 <h2> heading tags on the Home page), wasted opportunity to target additional keywords.

No offense but from what I've looked at, it's not really that optimized.

31 minutes ago, yukon said:

The pro site has json schema in the <head> but the footer address is plain HTML, no schema code. The json is targeting "Organization" when I'd be targeting "hxxp://schema.org/LocalBusiness" (with microdata).

Personally I prefer microdata in the HTML, just easier to use IMO and easy to reverse engineer on competition (what's working in the SERPs).

Looks like you've got too much emphasis on the keyword "pella", unless it actually delivers local traffic.

You're very repetitive on the <h2> heading tags ("What Our Clients Are Saying" x5 <h2> heading tags on the Home page), wasted opportunity to target additional keywords.

Thanks for the feedback. That’s not the site I was referring to.  The site you’re referencing is doing ok locally. It’s getting a decent amount of leads. I didn’t realize it was not optimized correctly. I’m not an SEO, so I’m sure you can spot a lot that I’m not aware of. The last SEOs that worked on the site last year were even less astute than I thought. 

The Pro site is in the top 10 on a lot of pages, it just seems to be topped out as it stands. 

Any chance you’d take a look at the other site? 

50 minutes ago, Robert Broome said:

Thanks for the feedback. That’s not the site I was referring to.  The site you’re referencing is doing ok locally. It’s getting a decent amount of leads. I didn’t realize it was not optimized correctly. I’m not an SEO, so I’m sure you can spot a lot that I’m not aware of. The last SEOs that worked on the site last year were even less astute than I thought. 

The Pro site is in the top 10 on a lot of pages, it just seems to be topped out as it stands. 

Any chance you’d take a look at the other site? 

I'll take a quick look but not interested in any projects.

On 5/28/2018 at 8:17 PM, yukon said:

I have the address of my local business (electrical contractor) in plain HTML on the footer of every page.  My address is in 1 town while my service area is 15 towns (I have a town based landing page for each one).

Would schema code make any real difference for me?  I know nothing about it so it would be a lot to learn, so I just want to be sure it's worth it.

17 hours ago, Wirenut said:

I have the address of my local business (electrical contractor) in plain HTML on the footer of every page.  My address is in 1 town while my service area is 15 towns (I have a town based landing page for each one).

Would schema code make any real difference for me?  I know nothing about it so it would be a lot to learn, so I just want to be sure it's worth it.

I assume you've already had that address on every single town/city internal page/s for a while so Google already knows about it. My point is, I doubt schema for the main town address would skew any SEO work on the additional surrounding towns.

I can only generalize without actually seeing the pages.

In OPs case, he already had schema code being generated from a Wordpress plugin but it was a mess and had nothing to do with a local business or GEO location. he's now optimized with local schema json code.

Like I suggested to OP, read this local schema tutorial here and it should be enough info to help you make a better informed decision.

Schema is more about telling Google how to display your content on the SERPs but there's also some local triggers like latitude and longitude of your location.

You can take schema way further than the tutorial link above, for instance each individual city/town page on your site could have a schema star rating setup for clients in those particular cities/towns. Example, say I'm installing HVAC, I'm located in Tampa FL but my client is located in St. Petersburg FL (a few miles away), I would add a unique client review on the St. Petersburg FL page and that would be wrapped in the schema star rating code that would show up in Google SERPs/description. My point is, this opportunity to optimize the city page with very specific local content (ex: St. Petersburg FL known landmarks/businesses) and help boost organic SERP CTRs. 

The interesting part about json schema code is. it's legit hidden HTML source code content/data that doesn't show up on the webpage. There's different ways (itemprop vs jason) to code the data/content depending If you want it to show up on the webpage or be hidden in the source code.

Thanks Yukon, that's is great info.

Currently each one of my town based landing pages has 2 reviews from customers in that town.  But they are taken from Yelp or Google reviews so they are not unique (I see that you emphasized that word).  I tried using Schema to get the start rating put in the result on Google, but the Joomla plug-in that is being used for my website deleted it for some reason so I gave up.

19 minutes ago, Wirenut said:

Thanks Yukon, that's is great info.

Currently each one of my town based landing pages has 2 reviews from customers in that town.  But they are taken from Yelp or Google reviews so they are not unique (I see that you emphasized that word).  I tried using Schema to get the start rating put in the result on Google, but the Joomla plug-in that is being used for my website deleted it for some reason so I gave up.

Don't copy reviews and post them on your own site.

Always aim for unique reviews because Google has already associated those Yelp reviews (exact text) with Yelp's site which is a huge authority that could possibly get your own self hosted site/page buried in organic Supplemental SERPs, especially If your own schema code is itemprop where the content is plain text on the live webpage.

It's literally duplicate content found on an authority site (ex: Yelp). Yelp will win a duplicate content fight in the SERPs without even trying. Odds are Yelp also has that same review/text wrapped in schema code and been established (weeks/months).

I don't use Joomla so can't help with that, I work with plain HTML and Wordpress.

Just to be clear, even when not using Schema markup, I still shouldn't use the reviews from Yelp on my landing pages?  What about reviews from Google?  Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Wirenut said:

Just to be clear, even when not using Schema markup, I still shouldn't use the reviews from Yelp on my landing pages?  What about reviews from Google?  Thanks.

I'd still aim for unique reviews on your own pages.

One review min. per page is enough for schema stars which can help increase SERP CTR and help make sell the product/service on your own page.

Even If buyers don't want to post any reviews you can still quote them with permission from a face to face conversation. Ask them the questions, how would they rate your business. Keep it short and casual. Don't use last names. Keep it local but still somewhat private.

Example:

• You guys are really fast at installing HVAC systems. - Larry D. - Houston, Texas

Or hand them a short old school paper survey right before the job is finished. Let the buyer fill in the blanks and hand it back to you when you give them the bill. Doesn't hurt to ask and doesn't have to be every buyer.

Just a follow up. The site I have been concerned with still has not had any improvements in rankings. Yukon gave me some great info about Schema and highlighted some on page issues. I bought Yoast Deluxe to help with the on page as well as their Local add-on to help with schema. I've made these improvements, but the local keywords seem to be perpetually stuck on pages 4-5. I would have expected some positive movement, but none as of yet. 

In my webmaster tools, I did find like 1000 404's from March. These were all weird spammy looking pages on my website that were linking out from my home and about us pages. I don't see these pages as indexed, and they now don't exist. Not sure if this is having an impact since they have been gone for months. 

The old useless Yoast json code is still in your HTML <head> and showing on your cache that was re-cached today (Jun 7, 2018 22:36:59 GMT).

I'm not saying that's your ranking problem but I guarantee it isn't helping telling Google the page is multiple schema types.

21 hours ago, yukon said:

The old useless Yoast json code is still in your HTML <head> and showing on your cache that was re-cached today (Jun 7, 2018 22:36:59 GMT).

I'm not saying that's your ranking problem but I guarantee it isn't helping telling Google the page is multiple schema types.

I thought that was going to be resolved by the Yoast local upgrade. It didn't work. I've had support tickets in to Yoast since the 30th. I contacted them again today. Still no response. 

1 hour ago, Robert Broome said:

I thought that was going to be resolved by the Yoast local upgrade. It didn't work. I've had support tickets in to Yoast since the 30th. I contacted them again today. Still no response. 

They were kind of busy dealing with some fallout from a pretty serious bug in their plugin.

https://yoast.com/media-attachment-urls/

I'm not sure what their response time is normally like. A week might be normal.