Sign in to follow this  
Terra

Know Your Target Audience For Your Book Format

I came across a very interesting article about which age groups prefer what format of books and it was surprising to me.

I would have thought that Millenials would prefer e-books as they were raised in the age of technology, but it isn't so.

The study showed  "...it turns out that this generation of readers would prefer actual books over e-readers — maybe even more than older readers — according to a study from the University of Arizona"

The article stated the reasons as to why:

As researchers moderated, the groups revealed their feelings about ownership of physical books versus e-books. Some findings:

• Because they don’t have full control of the e-book (i.e., they can’t copy a digital file to a number of devices), they don’t feel they have complete ownership of it.
  • Because they couldn’t share the e-books with their friends as well as being unable to gift the e-books or sell them, participants reported the items felt less valuable than physically possessing a book.
  • Because participants experienced physical books via senses such as touch, sound and smell, they reported feeling more emotionally attached to the physical books.
  • Because the process surrounding the purchase of e-books made it feel more like renting the book versus actually buying it, the participants reported feeling less ownership over the product.
  • Because physical books can be displayed, readers associate that with an expression of their identity to others. As such, they are more attached to the physical books.

.This goes to show that you should know your target audience's preferences in books before you decide which format to publish in. I guess it's best to do both.

Another interesting thing I found is that my book is selling at a ratio of 57 to 1, printed over e-book. I still think it best to offer both formats. It will be interesting to see the ratio after my second quarterly report.

Oh, you can find the whole article here. Consumers Feel Ownership of Physical Books, Not E-books

Terra

Before moving to Greece in 2002, my personal library had more than 2K books - hardcovers, paperbacks, antiques, special editions, etc., and I never thought I'd ever enjoy reading books electronically. 

I was wrong...

When I got my first Kindle about 9 or 10 years ago, I was kind of iffy about it. I like holding a book in my hands, I like collecting books, but most importantly, I like reading books. Kindle opened up a way for me to almost always ensure I had something new to read.

These days I use a tablet and an eReader app - I read 5 or 6 books a week and if it's 2 am and I need something new, I can pop over to Amazon and get whatever catches my eye. 

While I certainly understand the results of the study, and why your particular book sells better printed than electronically, I suspect that ultimately, printed books will go by the wayside to some extent. What I mean by this, is I would always like the option of ordering a printed copy, but for most of the material I consume, electronic is better, faster and far more convenient. 

I do think that children's books will always fair well in printed form, but consider this - my youngest daughter (3 years old), can turn on a phone or tablet, find an app for YouTube, search for and find "Peppa The Pig" and "Baby TV" and watch them all on her own. She's been doing that for nearly a year now, including downloading games from Google Play - while she likes books (sort of), she clearly prefers electronic formats. 

I think a fair analogy is to look at what the web did to news media - newspapers going out of business altogether because folks want to get their news online. While it will take longer for books, it's bound to happen...

I agree that eventually some time in the future, printed books will fall by the wayside and I do think that the generation that follows the millennials and the generation after that will most likely prefer the e-books as well. The world is expanding in technology by the hour.

The study did say that older folks (like ourselves) do prefer the e-readers because they can adjust brightness as well as size of the font, etc. Makes sense with aging eyes. I, however, do prefer a physical book. I don't know why, I just do. I have a kindle with tons of books on there too but I only read those books while on vacation before bed time. Packing lots of books just takes up far too much room in my luggage and being a woman, it's difficult enough getting everything to fit in a suitcase that fits the specs before I'm charged extra, or into just one or two pieces of luggage to fit in the car, hahaha!

And well, I've never really fallen into the "norm" when it comes to these things! 😂😂😂

And one more note: Millenials are known for being "all about me", so it makes sense that they would prefer owning physical books. 😄

Terra

2 hours ago, Terra said:

And one more note: Millenials are known for being "all about me", so it makes sense that they would prefer owning physical books. 😄

While I agree with that Terra, there is a sense of comfort in reading a physical book that you just can't deny.  Perhaps our "all about me" generation is catching on to life before seat belts... :)  

Another thing to consider, many of the "older folks" as you say (who you callin' older?), just don't want the clutter any longer.  My mother went through that.  My book collection, 95% is from her.  

I would really like to see folks buying physical books before digital ones.  But, it's all about the money, costs and DAMN YOU AMAZON FOR MAKING US RELY ON YOU!  

29 minutes ago, BIG Mike said:

From your picture, I wouldn't consider you old....now Theresa, she's a different story, LOL

If I could get this forum's stupid avatar thingy to upload the picture I want without giving me the "FAIL" .. thingy.. I'd be golden.  

14 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

If I could get this forum's stupid avatar thingy to upload the picture I want without giving me the "FAIL" .. thingy.. I'd be golden.  

Is the forum giving you any other information on why it is not uploading?

Images have to be less than 50 kB.

I still prefer physical books to e-books. Same as I prefer records and cds to mp3s.

Having a library of books and/or music is a statement of who you are. People can browse your collection and get an understanding of your character from them.

Downside is, they are a pain in the backside when moving house.

9 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Having a library of books and/or music is a statement of who you are. People can browse your collection and get an understanding of your character from them.

LOL.. then there are people like me that just leave the classics out and one collection of an author I love to read.  The rest are hiding in boxes.  MMUUAUUAHHAHHAAAAAAA.. judge my character will you.  

Disclaimer:  No one comes to my house, but the cats and the dog are mighty impressed!  

13 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Is the forum giving you any other information on why it is not uploading?

Images have to be less than 50 kB.

Yes Mike, it is.  It says "Damn woman, you're so dumb!".  Is it supposed to say that?  

12 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

See, now I feel just the opposite - when I had a library (as well as extensive music and video collections), those were immensely personal to me and not shared with others. But then again, I've never much cared one way or the other about what people think of me (aside from my immediate family). I like myself for who I am and don't need or want to make statements to others about who I am.  

It's probably another reason why I prefer electronic media - my digital library is private and only accessible by me (and my family). Space is also an issue - until some of the rugrats grow up, get married and move out, I just don't have the room here for storing more than a handful of books. 

2 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Yes Mike, it is.  It says "Damn woman, you're so dumb!".  Is it supposed to say that?  

Works perfectly...what's (who's) the problem? Hehehehehe

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

Works perfectly...what's (who's) the problem? Hehehehehe

Gee, I don't know math magician.  What the hell is 50kb into pixels?  

"I like big KB and I cannot lie"  

You Greeks are mean.  

23 hours ago, BIG Mike said:

From your picture, I wouldn't consider you old

😍😍😍

See? Once again you have me saying, I knew I liked you!

But in all honesty, that is an older photo. An up to date one is on the poster my son made me that I posted in my I'm getting published thread. Here it is...

32807810_2020530684863739_15923702532522

See? we older folks, lol!

Theresa, Mike and I are to whom I was referring. In my opinion, when you hit 50, you're a classic and well, truth be told, classics are old. 😂

I have many a bookcase filled with books and I have donated many boxes of books to various libraries as well. I only keep the ones that I absolutely love and my heirlooms from my grandpa Brown. Those are nearly a hundred years old and are in my china cabinet. The others take up four book cases, haha!

I don't really display anything to show who I am because everything I like from books to movies to music is very eclectic. How do you showcase that, LOL!

Terra

5 hours ago, Terra said:

Theresa, Mike and I are to whom I was referring. In my opinion, when you hit 50, you're a classic and well, truth be told, classics are old. 😂

Terra

Terra you ment to say classics are timeless 

4 hours ago, BIG Mike said:

Still, you can't beat a classic beauty ;)

You flatterer!  I like it, haha!

I'll bet your lovely wife is just putty in your hands. 😉

Terra

1 hour ago, Terra said:

I'll bet your lovely wife is just putty in your hands. 😉

Yeah, and I keep telling her she needs to spend time at the gym to tone up those putty muscles, LOL

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

Yeah, and I keep telling her she needs to spend time at the gym to tone up those putty muscles, LOL

😱 You Big Drunken Greek, you!

Well, what else was I going to say? LOL!

Terra