Sign in to follow this  
Terra

Opinions wanted please

It's near the time I need to give my publishers what I want for the front and back cover design for the second book in my series. It takes place from the beginning of Fall until the end of Winter. Some of the chapters include Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day.

The book will be released mid-fall. What I was wondering is if you think having a Christmas scene on the front cover would hinder Spring and Summer sales. I know it would certainly help for Christmas gifts/sales but I'm not sure if it would be a hindrance to sales for the rest of the year. It is a series and the second book so I'm befuddled at the moment.

I do have another design chosen for the front and back covers that have to do with just fall and winter just incase the Christmas scene is a bad marketing idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Terra

21 hours ago, Terra said:

It's near the time I need to give my publishers what I want for the front and back cover design for the second book in my series. It takes place from the beginning of Fall until the end of Winter. Some of the chapters include Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day.

The book will be released mid-fall. What I was wondering is if you think having a Christmas scene on the front cover would hinder Spring and Summer sales. I know it would certainly help for Christmas gifts/sales but I'm not sure if it would be a hindrance to sales for the rest of the year. It is a series and the second book so I'm befuddled at the moment.

I do have another design chosen for the front and back covers that have to do with just fall and winter just incase the Christmas scene is a bad marketing idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Terra

It really depends on what you're looking for. :) 

If you want to encourage more sales in general, I would go for the generic cover.

If you want something that can be promoted as a Christmas gift every year (and, in turn, boost the sales of the other books), I would go with the Christmas cover. IMHO, having one of the books that you could really promote every year as a gift might be the better alternative. People might be willing to buy the one book because it's a Christmas gift, and if they like it they can buy the other books in the series. 

You may not sell many of that book during the year, but I would think the surge in sales around Christmas each year might be worth it? 

Just my two cents. :) 

The picture you and I talked about, I thought it was a good front cover because of the word "challenges" being in the title.  To me, that one chapter, especially, depicts the whole title of the book.  Yep, I'm bias, that's one of my favorites.  ❤️

I've seen authors have winter scenes before and I don't think it's ever hindered sales during the warmer months.  I also don't believe your fans will let that hinder them, either.  Think of it the opposite way, did the summery look of your first book hinder the sales during the colder months?  

The collage idea that BIG Mike posted is great, too!  That graphic designer of yours has some mad skills, what does he think?   

7 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

The picture you and I talked about, I thought it was a good front cover because of the word "challenges" being in the title.  To me, that one chapter, especially, depicts the whole title of the book.  Yep, I'm bias, that's one of my favorites.  ❤️

I've seen authors have winter scenes before and I don't think it's ever hindered sales during the warmer months.  I also don't believe your fans will let that hinder them, either.  Think of it the opposite way, did the summery look of your first book hinder the sales during the colder months?  

The collage idea that BIG Mike posted is great, too!  That graphic designer of yours has some mad skills, what does he think?   

This makes good sense too!

The front cover is extremely important to setting the expectation of the reader, especially if the cover has a strong thematic element. If you go with a Christmas cover, readers will be expecting a Christmas story. Is that what they're getting? If not, they may be disappointed. 

A general winter cover doesn't set the same expectations. Personally, I'll read a story set in the winter anytime. I won't read a Christmas story until I'm in a Christmas mood. Another example: My wife loves those schlocky Hallmark Christmas movies - there's a new one every Saturday night from November to New Years. We never miss a single one. Netflix, for some reason, is currently pushing some Christmas movies. The wife absolutely wants nothing to do with them right now. The same concept stands for books. 

Exactly Dan!

That is the conclusion that I came to. Only 2 of the twelve chapters are Christmas. I don't want to mislead or tick off any readers/parents or disappoint any children.. So that is out. 

Theresa, I'm not concerned about a winter or any other season for the cover, it was a specific holiday and a major one at that. I've decided against it. altogether. My graphics guy said, "Do whatever you want Mom, just don't make it too generic, LOL! He's busy getting settled into the new place and preparing for the birth of his son. They're inducing on Monday, a whole month early. Complications, Yikes!

Thank you so much for you thoughts Shay! 

Mike, Dang it! I thought I was completely settled on what I wanted for the front and back covers, but I love your idea and so now I have to go and think some more, LOL! I really like your idea as a full spread across the front and back covers. But which should have 2 holidays and which should have one? Front or back?...Yep! Back to the thinking board, LOL!

Terra