Sign in to follow this  
Wirenut

Hosting

I have a pretty basic website (maybe 50 pages counting the blogs) for my business, it's based on Joomla.  I doubt there are ever 2 people viewing it at the same time, yet it's pretty slow.  Sometimes it will load quick but many times it will be slow to load.  This is not good.  

I use GoDaddy.  They called like they do a couple times a year to ask how everything is going and I told them about this.  The guy said that my site was on an old server and I could move it to a new server and it would cost $100.  I wasn't happy to have to pay to move it since he just admitted to me that it was their fault that I was getting crappy service.  He said I could move it myself and not pay, but at that point I already decided that I would prefer a new hosting company.

Web Hosting

Just sent you a PM.. hope it helps.  Did they tell you what kind of 'new server' they're talking about?  If a server can get old (have no idea), you'd think they would just move you or at the very least, upgrade everyone on the 'old server' knowing full well that it isn't providing what you are paying for.  

They weren't very clear.

What you said is exactly what I thought, if they know they are giving me an inferior product or service that they want to get rid of, why do I have to pay to change it?  Their response was that it was free if I do it myself, but I would have to pay one of their guys to do it.

Don't use Godaddy for anything. All they do is sell, sell, sell like they want to nickel and dime people. I can't stand that relentless e-begging.

Find another host. 50 pages on a site and average two traffic at a time is nothing.

Move your domain to Namecheap. Cut all ties with Godaddy.

Any reason you're using Joomla?

Joomla is what the person who developed my website chose to use.  Looking at it now, it seems so convoluted in the way he did it.  Not that I am an expert or even a novice, but it just seems so complicated with all the various extensions to make what amounts to a very simple website.

Another option when changing hosts is to just move all my content into a different website altogether, something fresher and also more mobile friendly.  

8 minutes ago, Wirenut said:

Joomla is what the person who developed my website chose to use.  Looking at it now, it seems so convoluted in the way he did it.  Not that I am an expert or even a novice, but it just seems so complicated with all the various extensions to make what amounts to a very simple website.

Another option when changing hosts is to just move all my content into a different website altogether, something fresher and also more mobile friendly.  

I'd do this:

• Domain at Namecheap
  • Low cost shared hosting of your choice (it's a 50 page site)
  • Use Wordpress as the CMS

Don't buy/renew your domain on the same site where you buy web hosting. You don't want one business controlling everything you do/own.

Wordpress is pretty mainstream and massive support all over the web. Don't fall for managed Wordpress hosting. That's a trend being sold on a lot of shared host right now where they charge more than their basic hosting for pretty much nothing. A basic shared host should include a Cpanel and allow you to install Wordpress on your own, doesn't take long to install on the host and most host will have easy tutorials walking you through the process. Takes about 10 min.

There's a bazillion Wordpress themes to pick from.

13 hours ago, Wirenut said:

I have a pretty basic website (maybe 50 pages counting the blogs) for my business, it's based on Joomla.  I doubt there are ever 2 people viewing it at the same time, yet it's pretty slow.  Sometimes it will load quick but many times it will be slow to load.  This is not good.  

I use GoDaddy.  They called like they do a couple times a year to ask how everything is going and I told them about this.  The guy said that my site was on an old server and I could move it to a new server and it would cost $100.  I wasn't happy to have to pay to move it since he just admitted to me that it was their fault that I was getting crappy service.  He said I could move it myself and not pay, but at that point I already decided that I would prefer a new hosting company.

I have a VPS at liquid web that I stress tested at 10k requests using apache ab and it didn't melt.

Second on the namecheap recommendation.

Hosting - look into Stablehost, I used the forum's link here to sign up with them about a year ago. They bill monthly and had no issues with them. 

If you keep the joomla site it sounds like the plugins could be the reason your site loads slow or it needs major updating. If not switch to wordpress it is easier to use. Plus it has plenty of plugins to choose from.

30 minutes ago, mki said:

I have a VPS at liquid web that I stress tested at 10k requests using apache ab and it didn't melt.

OP said two unique traffic at once. If something like that has 10k request it's probably being hammered by a bot.

Usually a low cost shared host is more than enough for a small low volume traffic site.

2 hours ago, yukon said:

OP said two unique traffic at once. If something like that has 10k request it's probably being hammered by a bot.

Usually a low cost shared host is more than enough for a small low volume traffic site.

I know :)

If you run ads on stuff like ad.fly, you get ~ 100k page views an hour.

ab is an apache bench-marking tool.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:41 AM, Wirenut said:

They weren't very clear.

What you said is exactly what I thought, if they know they are giving me an inferior product or service that they want to get rid of, why do I have to pay to change it?  Their response was that it was free if I do it myself, but I would have to pay one of their guys to do it.

This is so common Wirenut.  These companies, especially GoDaddy and Hostgator, rely on the fact you 1) possibly don't know how to do this.  And 2)  Don't wanna do it!  *I'm sure that changing up your hosting after a long day is the last thing on your mind!  The fact they told you that you were on an older server, IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM!  It's their's, period.  You pay what other's are paying, you get the same service.  

As BIG Mike stated, the add on fees, are just crazy!  GD is the worst with this!  An even bigger problem is you get a supposed tech guy that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.  Most businesses don't want, nor have the knowledge, to mess with understanding all there is to know with hosting and what exactly is offered in their 'service'.  This is why a majority still use the ol' drop and drag sites.  

I don't know enough about Joomla to say anything here, but I know your site.  I still think switching to WP is a good solution for you.  An updated look and a better hosting company, your problems are solved.  Shared hosting is crap, no matter what they call it.  I know I have learned my lessons!  

All I'll add is that GoDaddy hosting is so bad I have stopped taking customers who are using them as a web host and refuse to migrate to another host. Their hosting gets super slow or goes down all of the time. I realize that can generally happen with shared hosting, but I have even seen it on dedicated hosting there which should never happen unless your site gets a ridiculous amount of traffic.

When you call them, their most common solution is to upgrade to another package.

I've grown fed up with them. It gets harder to rank when your site goes down regularly or loads so slow it times out.

So yep, a couple of months ago I stopped taking any customer that uses GoDaddy for their host.

Echoing what others have said, I would avoid GoDaddy and any host that is owned by EIG.

I don't care how good HostGator might seem right now, EIG has a nearly perfect record of destroying hosting companies. For whatever reason, they are especially bad on the VPS and dedicated hosting lines of business. In fact, HostGator has had some pretty serious failures on that end in the last year or so. I think it was just last fall that a bunch of sites went down for like 8 days with HostGator.

I know most people are only using shared hosting, so might feel a little safer. If you are using them, I would at least maintain a backup somewhere else. If they go down, all you have to do is point your nameservers at the other host and you will experience minimal downtime.