Sign in to follow this  
Wunderkind

SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant

I'm not real big on things like Yoast's recommendations when you are creating a post.

Tools like that usually offer a lot of bad advice.

I saw someone in a Facebook group recently mention SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant.

It's an addon you can use with Google Docs. It's not a half bad little tool.

It scores your article on reading difficulty. It uses something called the Flesch reading-ease score formula. It's not something SEMrush came up with. However, SEMrush takes a look at the top 10 for the keyword you choose and scores them to give you a target score to shoot for.

Your top competition has articles on a 10-12th grade level. That's what you should shoot for. Or maybe it is something more technical on a college or college graduate level and that is what you need to go after.

It also pulls up related keywords that you might want to consider adding to your text.

All in all, not a half bad free tool... Err.. maybe not free. I think I had to enter my SEMrush account login to use it. I cannot remember now.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:48 PM, Wunderkind said:

It scores your article on reading difficulty. It uses something called the Flesch reading-ease score formula.

the yoast plugin does the same thing

11 hours ago, gnojham said:

the yoast plugin does the same thing

Yeah, but who the hell composes content within Wordpress? 

Also if you use any kind of a "page builder" like Elementor or WP Bakery, Yoast is not going to analyze the content accurately.

6 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Yeah, but who the hell composes content within Wordpress? 

Also if you use any kind of a "page builder" like Elementor or WP Bakery, Yoast is not going to analyze the content accurately.

OP does or did apparently. 

regardless, it appeared the OP wasnt aware of the reading score feature in yoast, just giving him a heads up 8-)

2 hours ago, gnojham said:

OP does or did apparently. 

regardless, it appeared the OP wasnt aware of the reading score feature in yoast, just giving him a heads up 8-)

Nope. She definitely does not compose content in WP. Hate messing around with anything in their editor. 

And I remembered that Yoast had a reading score feature, but didn't realize they use the same one. It's been a long time since I used Yoast for anything on the page/post level. SEMrush's tool does a better job all around.

13 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Nope. She definitely does not compose content in WP. Hate messing around with anything in their editor. 

And I remembered that Yoast had a reading score feature, but didn't realize they use the same one. It's been a long time since I used Yoast for anything on the page/post level. SEMrush's tool does a better job all around.

no worries. thats why i said 'does or did', not 'does'.