Sign in to follow this  
ShayB

Why do some sites take forever to load?

This is just a curiosity thing for me.

Why is it that some sites take forever to load? Even when you are on the site, each page takes forever when you move from page to page? :blink:

Is it a hosting issue? Or something else?

Edited to add: It's not just on one device. It's phone, iPad, & laptop.  

Edited by ShayB
more info because my brain hasn't had coffee yet

SEMrush

2 hours ago, ShayB said:

Why is it that some sites take forever to load? Even when you are on the site, each page takes forever when you move from page to page? :blink:

Some of it, yes, is a hosting issue.  Depends on the type of hosting a site owner is using.  A lot of site load is the amount of freaking ads they have displayed, too.  Internet speed, the platform the site was built on, time of day (internet traffic), cookie stuffing and it could be Tuesday.  *True story.. my internet would always slow down on Tuesdays.  Verizon blamed it on my trees.  So, sure, every Tuesday, my trees decided to block my signal.  

One last thought, and it may not apply to you, is the age of your equipment and/or operating system(s).  

With my cellphone, Verizon is pulling the same crap Apple just got in hot water for and that's slowing down your phone if it's older.  Mine needs to upgraded, for sure, but I don't mind it being slow, it's the no signal, or 3G that gets me cranky.  I've been putting off calling them until I'm done biting my mad spot.  :)  

To sum up, it's a ton of different reasons Shay.  

My WiFi tends to slow down like clockwork around 3 am, every night,....probably a saving money thing.

We also got Optic fibre forced on us, and the street looks more slum like as a result, with at least two neighbours bitching about the cheap installation.

:o

On 7/17/2018 at 8:51 AM, ShayB said:

There can be tons of reasons why a site loads slow. The most common is the hosting, but there are also sites that are just bloated. There could be a lot of scripts running. Sliders are notoriously slow. 

Web designers often make a big error that slows down pages. They will take an image that is say 3000 x 2000 pixels and use it. Then they use CSS styling rules to shrink it to the size they want it to appear in the browser. The problem with that is the browser has to load the full 3000 x 2000 pixels and then resize it. It's a terrible way to do things and loads so much slower.

Most of the time it is hosting though.