Sign in to follow this  
Robert Broome

301 a webpage

Hello all, 

I have a website that I’ve pretty much given up on. I just cancelled the Yext account and when my $600 hosting comes back up I won’t renew. 

I was thinking of taking down the content and just deleting the pages. Then, I was going to 301 the site to my main site. There is about 100 DF links that I paid for. Will this give a nice boost to my main page?  It’s the same niche. 

Web Hosting

On 8/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, Robert Broome said:

Hello all, 

I have a website that I’ve pretty much given up on. I just cancelled the Yext account and when my $600 hosting comes back up I won’t renew. 

I was thinking of taking down the content and just deleting the pages. Then, I was going to 301 the site to my main site. There is about 100 DF links that I paid for. Will this give a nice boost to my main page?  It’s the same niche. 

It could provide a boost. Tough to say for sure. Depends on how strong the links are. If the pages were ranking fairly decently on their own, then it is more likely you will see some kind of benefit from the redirect.

What I would probably do to make it look less suspicious to Google is not do a redirect of the entire domain to the home page of your main site. I would redirect individual pages to pages on your main site that are related. Ones where there isn't a match, I would redirect to the home page. It takes a little more time, but is worth it in my opinion.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, Mike Friedman said:

It could provide a boost. Tough to say for sure. Depends on how strong the links are. If the pages were ranking fairly decently on their own, then it is more likely you will see some kind of benefit from the redirect.

What I would probably do to make it look less suspicious to Google is not do a redirect of the entire domain to the home page of your main site. I would redirect individual pages to pages on your main site that are related. Ones where there isn't a match, I would redirect to the home page. It takes a little more time, but is worth it in my opinion.

Thanks, Mike. I have some pretty useful content on the site. Would it be ok to just move the content to my main site and then 301 the page? 

2 hours ago, Robert Broome said:

Thanks, Mike. I have some pretty useful content on the site. Would it be ok to just move the content to my main site and then 301 the page? 

That would be fine. I would just be careful you are not duplicating topics. 

For example, if you have an article about XYZ, but there is a better article about XYZ on your domain you are getting rid of, I would replace the article on your main site with that article, not add an additional article about XYZ.

Hope that makes sense. Happy hour extended to happy hours tonight.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:19 PM, Mike Friedman said:

That would be fine. I would just be careful you are not duplicating topics. 

For example, if you have an article about XYZ, but there is a better article about XYZ on your domain you are getting rid of, I would replace the article on your main site with that article, not add an additional article about XYZ.

Hope that makes sense. Happy hour extended to happy hours tonight.

Thanks, Mike. I have all of the pages 301'd accept for the home page. I was not sure what to do there. Should I forward that page too?