Sign in to follow this  
mki

The Ultimate Excel Prospecting Macro

The Setup:

prospecting-macro.gif.79a91c5f8fd35efe5d5233d6258e94ca.gif

Column 1 in your spreadsheet is your status, so whatever "good" "bad" whatever you want. Relevant or irrelevant, 3 stars, 17 bananas, it doesn't matter, whatever you are looking for. That's what you are filling during this prospecting process. Note: I personally just close the tab if it's bad and when I get to the end of the sheet I replace the blanks with "ignore" with a macro.

Column 2 is empty and when you select it, it will open the URL in Mozilla Firefox (assuming the path is correct in the code below.)

Column 3 is the URL or domain.

How to use it: Use the keyboard keys, you can hold the down arrow in column 2 to open up how every many URLs / domains you want. Then just go through the tabs.

Note: Some websites steal the focus with JS, just click the TitleBar of Excel, so you don't lose position. I actually disable JS while doing with a plugin called "Disable JS" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-javascript/

The plugin is really useful on other websites that do annoying JS things. :)

Tip: Alt+Tab back and forth and Ctrl+W will close the currently open tab in Firefox. I have an MS office keyword and setup the 1 and 2 buttons to do that. Edit: I tried it for an hour and switched to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/shortkeys/ and mapped alt+` to close tab. It's physically easier on your hand, but that plugin will not work on certain tabs, which in this case is actually good, since I want to keep a blank tab open so that I don't have to keep spawning firefox.exe and to do that I always keep the first tab blank (my computer is pretty fast but closing and executing firefox does waste time.)

Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim URL As String
Dim Command As String
Dim Result

On Error GoTo ErrorEvent

If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then
    Exit Sub
End If

Application.EnableEvents = False

If Target.Column <> 2 Then
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Exit Sub
End If

URL = Target.Offset(0, 1).Value

Command = "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -new-tab -private-window " & URL

Result = Shell(Command, 4)

AppActivate Application.Caption

ExitNormally:

Application.EnableEvents = True
    Exit Sub
ErrorEvent:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume ExitNormally
End Sub

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin