Sign in to follow this  
JohnHemmer

Somebody please rationalize long-form content with mobile friendliness

This drives me nuts. Please someone explain this to me.

I see all these gurus out there telling people how vital it is that their website is mobile friendly. I am totally on board with that. A few years ago, mobile traffic surpassed desktop traffic. This is no secret.

They also claim that time on a page and how your users interact with your pages are rankings signals Google is looking at. I do not totally agree with that sentiment. I really do not believe Google cares how long someone is on a page. Google cares if they found what they were looking for, however long that takes. Let's say you buy that whole argument though. You want people staying on your page. You want people visiting other pages and interacting with the site. Okay.

Now tell me how that connects with writing a 3,000 word article that these same gurus swear you should be using. Do you really believe that most of your visitors are going to read a 3,000 word article? The average reading speed of an adult is about 200 words per minute with good comprehension. If it is something really technical, it is going to take a little longer. 

So people are going to stare at your page on their little cell phone for 15 minutes and read the whole thing? Really? In this age of I want it now, now, now and impatience, this is what we are supposed to believe?

Do you see my point? These things really don't connect.

Or am I the only one seeing this and I am totally wrong?

Web Hosting