Sign in to follow this  
Lanfear63

The 5g Revolution Is Coming

Interesting, 300mbps, up to one Gig per second, no modems or routers, all your devices connected at home and as coverage increases, just about everywhere. Cellular on steroids.

Bring it on.But do data or speed caps please.

Consider this, when the snags have been ironed out, Fibre networks to your home will be obsolete along with cable internet etc. No more modems being sold, or routers.

TV's will just pick up the channels you subscribe to or send out the free ones using this method.

It's a way off yet but It will come. 

SEMrush

Yeah, my Mother had someone from NBN, (optic fibre) come to her house, after she very clearly stated that she did not want it, and gave here a dodgy form to fill out.

Which basically said "l don't want it forced on me and installed for free and want it installed later on and pay for it".

She wrote in big letters, "I DON'T WANT THIS".

Thankfully the Indian installer got it, but also told her that she was the only one in her street that didn't get it put on.

Which after doing a quick drive around, was an outright lie, (at least 20% of houses on her street did not have it installed.

And apparently after getting this put on, the phone line gets disconnected, (which should be illegal, if you refuse to have it put on, (NBN).

I certainly hope that this 5G has no issues, but most new tech, usually does, after that scientists get off of it, and the powers that be say how wonderful it is, (which is translated as, we want to screw you for every cent possible).

:o

On 11/26/2018 at 7:41 PM, Lanfear63 said:

Interesting, 300mbps, up to one Gig per second, no modems or routers, all your devices connected at home and as coverage increases, just about everywhere. Cellular on steroids.

Bring it on.But do data or speed caps please.

Consider this, when the snags have been ironed out, Fibre networks to your home will be obsolete along with cable internet etc. No more modems being sold, or routers.

TV's will just pick up the channels you subscribe to or send out the free ones using this method.

It's a way off yet but It will come. 

I believe some cities will have it rolled out in the next year.  So it's coming faster than you may think.  For so long companies like Comcast had monopolies and their support reflected it.  I'm looking forward to the competition.

1 hour ago, ThomasBelknap said:

I believe some cities will have it rolled out in the next year.  So it's coming faster than you may think.  For so long companies like Comcast had monopolies and their support reflected it.  I'm looking forward to the competition.

It's incredible to think that these long standing companies infrastructure will be kicked to the side. All their domestic, cabled, Sat and fiber internet services will vanish.  They will either have to be a player in 5G or be swallowed up by the big mobile companies.

The major problem with all wireless internet is reliability. It's all very well claiming its capable of any speed you like, but if hundreds or even thousands of people are all drawing a signal from the same source the end user is never going to get those speeds. Nor are the ones who are a distance away from the source, or those who have an obstacle between them and the source such as buildings, hills, etc.

No matter how fast it gets it will never match the speed of a full fibre optic connection connected to your premises. The only limits to the speed that data can travel at over a fibre optic cable are what the cable is connected to at each end.

And then, as mentioned, there's the reliability factor. In theory at least, a terrestrial service will provide constant speeds with little variability. A wireless signal will fluctuate pretty wildly depending on a whole range of factors that are beyond the control of either the ISPs or the end users.

So no, it's still a long way off killing them off completely.

21 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

The major problem with all wireless internet is reliability. It's all very well claiming its capable of any speed you like, but if hundreds or even thousands of people are all drawing a signal from the same source the end user is never going to get those speeds. Nor are the ones who are a distance away from the source, or those who have an obstacle between them and the source such as buildings, hills, etc.

No matter how fast it gets it will never match the speed of a full fibre optic connection connected to your premises. The only limits to the speed that data can travel at over a fibre optic cable are what the cable is connected to at each end.

And then, as mentioned, there's the reliability factor. In theory at least, a terrestrial service will provide constant speeds with little variability. A wireless signal will fluctuate pretty wildly depending on a whole range of factors that are beyond the control of either the ISPs or the end users.

You have hit the nail on the head. They will have to make sure they are reliable and consistent with the speed, put up enough transmitters for no problem coverage for all, far and wide.

But just a couple of years down the line I think all you will see left is Sat companies that do internet as well as TV, catering for people who live out in the middle of nowhere. 

I noticed Comcast saying oh we are upgrading our customer centers.(they may even get English speaking customer support) recently  I think these companies are probably a bit concerned about 5g.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:56 PM, whateverpedia said:

No, I don't think it will kill any of the conglomerates off.  But it will be much better for the consumers.  

A example, if you will, is Google entering the internet provider market.  For years it was dominated by Comcast.  Suddenly Comcast had started releasing all this new technology that not only made for faster internet, but also wireless options that could be used for reaching people outside of their wired range.  I don't think it was a coincidence that Comcast announced this for a particular area that Google just so happened to enter.  They were probably sitting on this stuff for some time.

TMobile did the same in the mobile market.  They made it better for the consumer and the other providers didn't have a choice but to let go some of the things they were doing that consumers hated.  I really believe these companies hate their customers.

I am hoping that is a view of the future when more competition from 5g hits the market.  My sister is trapped with only Comcast where she lives.  I only have two solutions where I live.  I have to do the switch dance every couple of years because these providers will lock in a price but after that time period they try to jack it up.  So change to the other provider for a lower rate until they screw me and off to the next.  It's incredibly stupid to do business like that but not enough competition to really care how much they screw us.

That 5g will add the mobile providers to the mix which will be fantastic.  I also like the idea of taking it everywhere I go as long as I have a tower available.  I can finally live in that van down by the river like I had always dreamed of.

The speeds should be really good.  I just purchased a new laptop and I am amazed at how fast the newer wireless cards are for 5g.   We have a 2g/5g wireless router, but the old laptop only got 2g.  This new laptop was able to connect to the 5g and it was 3 to 4 times faster.  Faster than the fiber optic internet we had with Att&t.  Granted Att was throttling that connection.

2 hours ago, ThomasBelknap said:

Faster than the fiber optic internet we had with Att&t.  Granted Att was throttling that connection.

Now that Time Warner Cable is gone (now Spectrum), I'm pretty sure AT&T is the devil. Their internet blows.

3 hours ago, Dan Riffle said:

Blood that Time Warner Cable is gone (now Spectrum), I'm pretty sure AT&T is the devil. Their internet blows.

I'm on Spectrum now.  lol  It's like dealing with the devil and his twin brother Stan.   I had Spectrum 4 or so years ago and the internet wasn't very good.  AT&T blew it away.   I just switched back this week and the internet has been much better than AT&T.  My new wireless card plays a big role, but for much of the day I was plugged directly into the AT&T router with a ethernet cord.  I'm still getting 3 to 4 times faster on wireless than I did on ethernet. 

I'd probably still be with AT&T if they didn't charge me bandwidth for streaming their DirectTVNow service.  Greedy bastards killing my data caps with their own services.  I'm paying about the same now with no data caps and faster internet.  After 2 years the price lock will go away and Spectrum will start trying to shove increases up my bum.  5g should be more widely available by then so it may not happen.

4 hours ago, ThomasBelknap said:

No, I don't think it will kill any of the conglomerates off.  But it will be much better for the consumers.  

A example, if you will, is Google entering the internet provider market.  For years it was dominated by Comcast.  Suddenly Comcast had started releasing all this new technology that not only made for faster internet, but also wireless options that could be used for reaching people outside of their wired range.  I don't think it was a coincidence that Comcast announced this for a particular area that Google just so happened to enter.  They were probably sitting on this stuff for some time.

TMobile did the same in the mobile market.  They made it better for the consumer and the other providers didn't have a choice but to let go some of the things they were doing that consumers hated.  I really believe these companies hate their customers.

I am hoping that is a view of the future when more competition from 5g hits the market.  My sister is trapped with only Comcast where she lives.  I only have two solutions where I live.  I have to do the switch dance every couple of years because these providers will lock in a price but after that time period they try to jack it up.  So change to the other provider for a lower rate until they screw me and off to the next.  It's incredibly stupid to do business like that but not enough competition to really care how much they screw us.

That 5g will add the mobile providers to the mix which will be fantastic.  I also like the idea of taking it everywhere I go as long as I have a tower available.  I can finally live in that van down by the river like I had always dreamed of.

The speeds should be really good.  I just purchased a new laptop and I am amazed at how fast the newer wireless cards are for 5g.   We have a 2g/5g wireless router, but the old laptop only got 2g.  This new laptop was able to connect to the 5g and it was 3 to 4 times faster.  Faster than the fiber optic internet we had with Att&t.  Granted Att was throttling that connection.

Thomas, FYI: It may well be that your wireless router is an N "AC". AC is a new protocol that has been around for a few years now. So you get a new laptop and it has a compatible AC card in it. Boom, connecting to the 5g band gives you as fast as plugged in to Lan. If you connect to the 2.4 band it will be slower because it does not use the AC feature, . So, if your router was a AC3200 or a 5498AC for example, that means you were sitting on a potentially faster speed availability, just a purchase of a new laptop has made use of it because it has an AC card.

My Download speed using Lan is 94.5mbps, The wireless N AC compatible PC the other side of the house runs as fast as the one plugged directly into Lan. 

You may just have an old router that does not have AC but has both bands available, only now you are able to use the 5 band so its still faster. I had problems with older computers and routers getting the 5 band to stick, just kept losing connection, ended up using the reliable 2.4 band. These frustrations seem to have more or less vanished with AC and newer equipment.

I have 2 smart Best Buy own brand TV's, both of which have Wireless N AC, so they are very responsive. I have 2 Firesticks that have the same so also fast.

Lanfear, I have a wireless card with ac now and what a difference it makes. My new router has 2g and 5g available. My old laptop was purchase 4 or so years ago and you can tell the difference in speed.  Internet was getting tough on the old beast which is why I would connect directly to the router by ethernet.   Connecting directly improved it a lot.

Grant it, I have a faster internet package.  I still thought that fiber optics, which is what At&t was running on, would have been better.  Nope.  Now I am getting around 140mps to 150mbps download wirelessly.   I won't buy a cheesburger now if it doesn't have ac after the name.  ;) 

5g really blew me away.  I knew it was going to be fast but never really got excited until I experienced how fast.

2 hours ago, ThomasBelknap said:

Lanfear, I have a wireless card with ac now and what a difference it makes. My new router has 2g and 5g available. My old laptop was purchase 4 or so years ago and you can tell the difference in speed.  Internet was getting tough on the old beast which is why I would connect directly to the router by ethernet.   Connecting directly improved it a lot.

Grant it, I have a faster internet package.  I still thought that fiber optics, which is what At&t was running on, would have been better.  Nope.  Now I am getting around 140mps to 150mbps download wirelessly.   I won't buy a cheesburger now if it doesn't have ac after the name.  ;) 

5g really blew me away.  I knew it was going to be fast but never really got excited until I experienced how fast.

So i'm assuming you have a 5g  "AC" router?. If you go to speedtest.net and run it on your plugged in with Lan PC or laptop and then run the same test on an AC wireless connected laptop, the download speed should be exactly the same. That  would confirm it.

I had a laptop about 5 years old and did not have AC, I bought a Wireless AC USB dongle from Asus and plugged it into the laptop and directed the wireless internet to be picked up by that.  Instant speed increase from about 50mbps to 80 odd. Recently replaced the laptop with one that had the AC card built in. The speed was the same as plugged into the router or modem (94mbps). The reason was the fact that the dongle had to handshake with the laptop via USB first. This slowed the performance down.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:39 PM, Lanfear63 said:

So i'm assuming you have a 5g  "AC" router?. If you go to speedtest.net and run it on your plugged in with Lan PC or laptop and then run the same test on an AC wireless connected laptop, the download speed should be exactly the same. That  would confirm it.

I had a laptop about 5 years old and did not have AC, I bought a Wireless AC USB dongle from Asus and plugged it into the laptop and directed the wireless internet to be picked up by that.  Instant speed increase from about 50mbps to 80 odd. Recently replaced the laptop with one that had the AC card built in. The speed was the same as plugged into the router or modem (94mbps). The reason was the fact that the dongle had to handshake with the laptop via USB first. This slowed the performance down.

Yes, I have a new router that has both 2g and 5g.  The old laptop could only connect to 2g while the new laptop is connected to 5g.   Roughly 3 times the difference between the two.    

I was looking at those wireless dongles.  I wasn't sure how well they performed so thanks for the info.  I suspected it was slower but still faster than what I was getting on the old laptop.

2 minutes ago, ThomasBelknap said:

Yes, I have a new router that has both 2g and 5g.  The old laptop could only connect to 2g while the new laptop is connected to 5g.   Roughly 3 times the difference between the two.    

I was looking at those wireless dongles.  I wasn't sure how well they performed so thanks for the info.  I suspected it was slower but still faster than what I was getting on the old laptop.

Aha, you said "new" router, unlikely it would not have AC then but not impossible, still some N only cheap ones around. What's the make and model....a friend wants to know.

6 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

Aha, you said "new" router, unlikely it would not have AC then but not impossible, still some N only cheap ones around. What's the make and model....a friend wants to know.

It came with the service.  No extra cost.  It has both 2g and 5g frequencies.  I imagine it must have AC if it has a 5g connection.  I am no expert on this stuff.  My new laptop definitely has AC.  I made sure when I purchased it.

1 minute ago, ThomasBelknap said:

It came with the service.  No extra cost.  It has both 2g and 5g frequencies.  I imagine it must have AC if it has a 5g connection.  I am no expert on this stuff.  My new laptop definitely has AC.  I made sure when I purchased it.

Still unresolved then Thomas. The "came with the service stuff" is often a cheap and cheerful all in one modem and router combined that does not have AC. AC is the critical factor. The router not being AC would mean all that other stuff you have that is compatible with it is just running on plain old 5 N, faster than 2.4 I will grant you but not as fast as it can be. 

Can you look at at the back and give me the make and model. Otherwise I will lose sleep worrying about this.😉

On 12/3/2018 at 8:05 PM, Lanfear63 said:

Still unresolved then Thomas. The "came with the service stuff" is often a cheap and cheerful all in one modem and router combined that does not have AC. AC is the critical factor. The router not being AC would mean all that other stuff you have that is compatible with it is just running on plain old 5 N, faster than 2.4 I will grant you but not as fast as it can be. 

Can you look at at the back and give me the make and model. Otherwise I will lose sleep worrying about this.😉

I'll take a look later today.  As of right now, I am pretty happy with the speeds so don't think I will be spending money for a nominal increase.  I am still basking in the glory that I was able to get the wireless router for free through hard tensed negotiations.  That and getting them to waive the $50 installation fee.  I almost felt bad when the guy spent 2 or so hours installing the cable to the house.  Not enough to actually pay it!

I would be blown away if 5g is faster than what I am already experiencing.

4 hours ago, ThomasBelknap said:

I'll take a look later today.  As of right now, I am pretty happy with the speeds so don't think I will be spending money for a nominal increase.  I am still basking in the glory that I was able to get the wireless router for free through hard tensed negotiations.  That and getting them to waive the $50 installation fee.  I almost felt bad when the guy spent 2 or so hours installing the cable to the house.  Not enough to actually pay it!

I wait with baited breath. 😉

On 12/5/2018 at 9:38 AM, Lanfear63 said:

Thomas, I can't wait any longer, I have lost so much sleep. Please deliver the model and number of the unit so I can put you and myself out of our misery.

I already have the answers though. Covers every eventuality.

1) It is a cheap and cheerful router/modem combined that has the 5 wireless band but N only and not AC. Translated that means your pleased with the speed increase that you got now being able to connect to the 5 band, say you get 140mbps.. but if your internet speed was rated up to 200 mbps, then with AC you could have say 195mbps speed wirelessly.An AC router from Amazon is as little as $45.00. But then you would have to re-negotiate with the ISP to just have a modem or buy one. I don't think you can piggyback a router onto another one? Could be wrong.

2) You already have a combined router/modem with AC and are going at Max Speed.

Acid test, using http://speedtest.net - check your plugged in speed on your laptop, then disconnect and check the speed wirelessly. If they have the same download speed, you have AC.

There, I said it..anything for an award winning actor. 

Sagemcom 5260.   

The modem and router is separate.  I could swap out wireless routers.  

I'll probably wait for AX to come out next year and upgrade wireless routers.  I never thought I'd say it, but I can't see needing faster internet than what I have at the moment.    It sounds like AX will bring the upload speed on par with download.  Now that would be worth upgrading too.