Sign in to follow this  
mki

WP 5.0 Release is Thursday

Web Hosting

11 hours ago, mki said:

People are definitely not happy about this update. 

All of my sites I really care about are using page builders, so it had zero impact on my work. 

I understand the frustration, but at the same time, this was announced about a year ago. People had plenty of time to adapt, test, and prepare for this update.

If you upgraded to 5.0, make sure you install their latest security update.

They made a bit of a fuck that can expose user passwords. It's not as bad as that sounds. It's only on users that have been created since the update and only if they were using the default generated password. Likely a minimal impact across the community.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/wordpress-plugs-bug-that-led-to-google-indexing-some-user-passwords/

Support for the classic editor was changed from "until 2022" to " and will be fully supported and maintained until at least 2022, or as long as is necessary. "

It seems they got the memo that people who built sites on the classic editor don't like change for the sake of change.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that like it and are finding creative ways to use it.

For the most part though, the reception to the new editor has been awful. I have not tried it myself, but people are not happy with it.

I bet it has been a nice boon for business for established page builders like Elementor and Beaver Builder. 

I finally decided to give Gutenberg a shot on a dummy site I have to play around with.

What a shit show. It is just awful to work with. Kept getting weird errors popping up when I would try to go into the HTML code. It's clunky and the features are just not worth the effort. 

I understand that they are probably losing some market share to Wix and some of these other drag and drop website builders that are advertising all over the place. They should have partnered with one of the existing page builders instead. 

I am sure it will get better over time, but this is just bad. Browsing around on different forums and Reddits, I do not think I have seen one positive comment about Gutenberg. 

For any gamers out there, this reminds me of the Fallout 76 launch. They put a demo out there early. People played it and hated it. The developers said, "Tough shit. We're launching anyhow."

On 12/14/2018 at 9:57 AM, JohnHemmer said:

Yoast: I bet we can fuck over Wordpress users worse than anyone else.

Wordpress: Hold my beer.

And speaking of losing market share, everywhere I look I see posts about people running away from Yoast. 😁