Mike Friedman

Negative Local SEO - This is real and happening!

Guys and Gals, be on the lookout for this.

https://www.localsearchforum.com/threads/guard-against-opening-date-negative-seo.53699/

Someone did it to my business, The SEO Pub. Changed the opening date to January 2020, and now I am not showing up in local rankings. Must have just happened too because I logged in about 3 days ago.

Also happened to two clients, but their rankings were not impacted. Guess I caught it faster.

It's insane that Google allows users to submit edits like this for a GMB listing that is actively managed, and apparently word is spreading. Be diligent with your own sites and those of clients. Log in daily.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Wait. So let me get this shit straight.

If you are a local business, a competitor can hit the suggest an edit button and get your open date changed to a date in the future. Then when that happens your business vanishes off the local rankings?

It does not make any sense why Google would allow such a thing. What in the world are they thinking?

On 1/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, Mike Friedman said:

Guys and Gals, be on the lookout for this.

https://www.localsearchforum.com/threads/guard-against-opening-date-negative-seo.53699/

Someone did it to my business, The SEO Pub. Changed the opening date to January 2020, and now I am not showing up in local rankings. Must have just happened too because I logged in about 3 days ago.

Also happened to two clients, but their rankings were not impacted. Guess I caught it faster.

It's insane that Google allows users to submit edits like this for a GMB listing that is actively managed, and apparently word is spreading. Be diligent with your own sites and those of clients. Log in daily.

I just checked mine, and added the open date. Thanks for the heads up on this. 

Interesting, I took a look at how someone would even do that but it doesnt seem to let you date things for the future, so I wonder how they got around it.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:01 AM, Sear said:

Interesting, I took a look at how someone would even do that but it doesnt seem to let you date things for the future, so I wonder how they got around it.

Maybe Google patched it. 

It might also be that it only lets you do it if you don't have an opening date listed. I honestly don't remember if I did or not.

19 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Maybe Google patched it. 

It might also be that it only lets you do it if you don't have an opening date listed. I honestly don't remember if I did or not.

I added opening dates to mine and those that I managed.  Thanks Mike!  

I have a client who's ex wife still has her business listed at his address.  I have been asking my client to call her and have her remove it.. PFFT!  He still hasn't.  Yesterday, I went in and suggested an edit.  I just entered 'moved to another location' and Google updated it right away.  

I don't know how they would know I am telling the truth?  Her website is gone, (she let it go) but she still has her FB page and to my knowledge, she doesn't even list her new address.  

33 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

I added opening dates to mine and those that I managed.  Thanks Mike!  

I have a client who's ex wife still has her business listed at his address.  I have been asking my client to call her and have her remove it.. PFFT!  He still hasn't.  Yesterday, I went in and suggested an edit.  I just entered 'moved to another location' and Google updated it right away.  

I don't know how they would know I am telling the truth?  Her website is gone, (she let it go) but she still has her FB page and to my knowledge, she doesn't even list her new address.  

I'm guessing ones that are not claimed and actively managed the changes go live right away.

That or it's just showing for you as you are logged into the Google account that suggested the edit... maybe?

11 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I'm guessing ones that are not claimed and actively managed the changes go live right away.

That or it's just showing for you as you are logged into the Google account that suggested the edit... maybe?

I'm thinking both Mike.  I just went back and checked it.  Her business is still listed there, but there is a BIG RED bar that says "moved to a new location".  

It's frustrating because I need this woman off of there!  I need to use that address for his new 'branch' of business.  It's the only address I can use without GMB not approving it.

It's a HUGE piece of property and a whole family lives there.  I believe it's split, but the parents have two businesses and the son has an existing business.  The address hers is listed at is available because of the split in parcels.  

I guess the new break up saying is gonna be "Take your cat, take your sweater and take your GMB account too!"  :)  

11 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

I'm thinking both Mike.  I just went back and checked it.  Her business is still listed there, but there is a BIG RED bar that says "moved to a new location".  

It's frustrating because I need this woman off of there!  I need to use that address for his new 'branch' of business.  It's the only address I can use without GMB not approving it.

It's a HUGE piece of property and a whole family lives there.  I believe it's split, but the parents have two businesses and the son has an existing business.  The address hers is listed at is available because of the split in parcels.  

I guess the new break up saying is gonna be "Take your cat, take your sweater and take your GMB account too!"  :)  

There can be more than one business at the same address. You don't need hers moved.

20 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

There can be more than one business at the same address. You don't need hers moved.

I have another client with two businesses, one is his shop (store) and the other one is his mobile business.  Google removed his mobile business.  I'm guessing here, but it could be because of the phone number?  

That is what had me worried about the ex's business being on there.  

1 hour ago, Khemosabi said:

I have another client with two businesses, one is his shop (store) and the other one is his mobile business.  Google removed his mobile business.  I'm guessing here, but it could be because of the phone number?  

That is what had me worried about the ex's business being on there.  

Well, yeah different businesses should have different phone numbers.

1 hour ago, Mike Friedman said:

Well, yeah different businesses should have different phone numbers.

That's what I think, too.  He does have an additional number, now, but what a mess his original GMB account was.  I didn't set it up for him, just his new one for his store.  

Thanks for the help Mike.  :)