Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

Negative Local SEO - This is real and happening!

Guys and Gals, be on the lookout for this.

https://www.localsearchforum.com/threads/guard-against-opening-date-negative-seo.53699/

Someone did it to my business, The SEO Pub. Changed the opening date to January 2020, and now I am not showing up in local rankings. Must have just happened too because I logged in about 3 days ago.

Also happened to two clients, but their rankings were not impacted. Guess I caught it faster.

It's insane that Google allows users to submit edits like this for a GMB listing that is actively managed, and apparently word is spreading. Be diligent with your own sites and those of clients. Log in daily.

Web Hosting

Wait. So let me get this shit straight.

If you are a local business, a competitor can hit the suggest an edit button and get your open date changed to a date in the future. Then when that happens your business vanishes off the local rankings?

It does not make any sense why Google would allow such a thing. What in the world are they thinking?

On 1/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, Mike Friedman said:

Guys and Gals, be on the lookout for this.

https://www.localsearchforum.com/threads/guard-against-opening-date-negative-seo.53699/

Someone did it to my business, The SEO Pub. Changed the opening date to January 2020, and now I am not showing up in local rankings. Must have just happened too because I logged in about 3 days ago.

Also happened to two clients, but their rankings were not impacted. Guess I caught it faster.

It's insane that Google allows users to submit edits like this for a GMB listing that is actively managed, and apparently word is spreading. Be diligent with your own sites and those of clients. Log in daily.

I just checked mine, and added the open date. Thanks for the heads up on this.