Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

A2 Hosting and Why You Need a Backup Plan

One of the more reputable and reliable hosting companies out there came under attack by a hacker and were forced to take their servers down. They have been down for over a week now.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-server-hosting-provider-still-down-a-week-after-ransomware-attack/

If you are not familiar with them, A2 is not some crappy bottom run hosting company. They have long been considered one of the better VPS hosting providers available.

This is why you need to have a backup plan for any site you really care about. If my main business site went down, I could be back up on another host within an hour.

SEMrush

I've worked in corporate IT for years and one of the most important areas we would wargame was Disaster Recovery (DR). Most of the UK banks have a DR site which can spin up almost right away. The "secret" to good DR is working out what is the barebones you need to get your business up and running again, only focus on what you really need, the bits that make you money. So if you you have a vps that's doing link building for you it doesn't have to be up and running. Where as your money site does.

More than happy to share other pointers etc.

Loved A2 Hosting. Used them for a couple of years on one site. Unfortunately, it was impacted by this event. I took it down and moved it to Siteground now.

I won't use them ever again after this.