Sign in to follow this  
BigDave

Does anyone here actually believe in this keyword cannibalization thing?

This concept seems to be jumping up in a lot of SEO circles recently. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. 

I thought the idea was always to rank as many pages as possible for a search phrase, but this keyword cannibalization thing says that having multiple pages targeting the same phrase could actually be holding back all of those pages. 

That doesn't make sense to me. Each page is it's own unique entity. How could one interfere with another's chance to rank for a search term?

Does anyone actually believe this is a real thing? Or is it just another buzzword SEOs are using to try to look smarter than everyone else?

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

I'm glad to see someone else is feeling this way too. I don't understand why anyone would think keyword cannibalization is a thing.

Sites regularly have multiple pages ranking for the same keywords. 

What keyword cannibalization is basically saying is that sites are awarded X amount of ranking power for a keyword by Google and if you have multiple pages targeting that keyword, then X gets divided up among them. However, if you only have one page targeting the keyword, that page gets the full power of X.

If you have been studying and working with SEO for more than 2 weeks, you would know that is not how Google works at all.

The only place this could have some merit is if you have Y number of internal and external links pointing to these pages and you consolidate them to one page. That would certainly show a boost. 

That's not what the cannibals (my new nickname for them) are saying though. They are advocating "de-optimizing" the other competing pages by taking the keyword out of title tags, headings, content, etc.