Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
watman

Wordpress remove author and date published from post

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm using wordpress with the free version of the generatepress theme. I'm having an issue where when I publish a new post it published the author name and the date of publication. I'd like to remove it. Looking a the page source I can see that the following code snippet adds these two pieces of information

<header class="entry-header">
			<h1 class="entry-title" itemprop="headline">Privacy Policy</h1>			<div class="entry-meta">
				<span class="posted-on"><" title="10:29 am" rel="bookmark"><time class="updated" datetime="2019-07-21T10:37:51+00:00" itemprop="dateModified">July 21, 2019</time><time class="entry-date published" datetime="2019-07-21T10:29:58+00:00" itemprop="datePublished">July 21, 2019</time></a></span> <span class="byline"><span class="author vcard" itemprop="author" itemtype="https://schema.org/Person" itemscope>by <a class="url fn n" href="http://mywebsite.com/author/myauthorname/" title="View all posts by myauthorname" rel="author" itemprop="url"><span class="author-name" itemprop="name">myauthroname</span></a></span></span> 			</div><!-- .entry-meta -->
				</header><!-- .entry-header -->

I have looked in the php for the theme and can't find it anywhere can anyone suggest how to get rid of them?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Hi Watman!  

Not sure if this will help, but here's a link that explains how to do it with one of two different ways:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-remove-author-name-from-wordpress-posts/

Also, in some themes (I don't know about the one you're using), on a post and page, when you are in the back office, on the top right is a tab 'screen options'.  It's a drop down.  In there you can uncheck author, date and more.  Some themes do not have that option.  

Another way is in 'customize' there should be a tab that says "Post Information" in that tab, there should be one for "Meta Information".  In there you can uncheck or check the things you want displayed.  

If you're goal is to hide your user name, you can do that in "Edit my profile".  I never show my user/login name.  I have a default name (my company name) that I set it at.  I would do this step no matter what.  It helps to keep the shitheads from hacking your site.  :)  

Hope that helped!!!  

~ Theresa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I do on sites is I create a master account for all design issues, installing plugins, themes, updates, etc.

But then I create an author account for publishing all pages and posts. I forget offhand what Wordpress lists the permissions as. Editor I think.

This is for security as Wordpress will publish the author usernames of a page which gives hackers 50% of what they need to hack into your site. At least if they hack a Editor account, they are very limited on what they can access and do with the site.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Hi Watman!  

Not sure if this will help, but here's a link that explains how to do it with one of two different ways:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-remove-author-name-from-wordpress-posts/

Also, in some themes (I don't know about the one you're using), on a post and page, when you are in the back office, on the top right is a tab 'screen options'.  It's a drop down.  In there you can uncheck author, date and more.  Some themes do not have that option.  

Another way is in 'customize' there should be a tab that says "Post Information" in that tab, there should be one for "Meta Information".  In there you can uncheck or check the things you want displayed.  

If you're goal is to hide your user name, you can do that in "Edit my profile".  I never show my user/login name.  I have a default name (my company name) that I set it at.  I would do this step no matter what.  It helps to keep the shitheads from hacking your site.  :)  

Hope that helped!!!  

~ Theresa

Hi Theresa,

Had a look through the theme settings to get the option to remove author and date you have to buy the theme. Thanks for posting the article will have a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Watman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

One thing I do on sites is I create a master account for all design issues, installing plugins, themes, updates, etc.

But then I create an author account for publishing all pages and posts. I forget offhand what Wordpress lists the permissions as. Editor I think.

This is for security as Wordpress will publish the author usernames of a page which gives hackers 50% of what they need to hack into your site. At least if they hack a Editor account, they are very limited on what they can access and do with the site.

 

Question for you Mike,

My post above yours, I think we're doing the same thing, but in a different way, ???  When I set up a WP site, I always pick a wacky user name, something I will remember for each site.  Then, once I'm ready to build the site, under the avatar (top right in back office), the option to 'edit my profile' is there.  I click on that and scroll down to 'nickname' I use my business name (kind of a sneaky end around of another post).  Under that is 'display name publicly as' you can then check your business name.  All post/pages get published as your business name.

When those cute little hackers try to guess my admin name, Wordfence, 90% ish of the time will show either 'admin' (which I never use), or my business name.  

Do you think creating an author account would help as far as security, or would it just be redundant?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Question for you Mike,

My post above yours, I think we're doing the same thing, but in a different way, ???  When I set up a WP site, I always pick a wacky user name, something I will remember for each site.  Then, once I'm ready to build the site, under the avatar (top right in back office), the option to 'edit my profile' is there.  I click on that and scroll down to 'nickname' I use my business name (kind of a sneaky end around of another post).  Under that is 'display name publicly as' you can then check your business name.  All post/pages get published as your business name.

When those cute little hackers try to guess my admin name, Wordfence, 90% ish of the time will show either 'admin' (which I never use), or my business name.  

Do you think creating an author account would help as far as security, or would it just be redundant?  

 

It may have changed. I don't pay attention to it much anymore, but my understanding was that Wordpress publishes the author user name, not business name, in the code. The nickname shows up in the end result on the browser, if you are showing authors, but the user name is still appearing in the code. I have not checked that in a while though. I always have an admin account that handles all the site setup and design and an author account for publishing pages and posts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

 

It may have changed. I don't pay attention to it much anymore, but my understanding was that Wordpress publishes the author user name, not business name, in the code. The nickname shows up in the end result on the browser, if you are showing authors, but the user name is still appearing in the code. I have not checked that in a while though. I always have an admin account that handles all the site setup and design and an author account for publishing pages and posts.

 

 

I will check on this a little further, but so far, all of the code shows my nickname not my user name.  

Thanks for pointing this out Mike.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.