Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

Dan Kennedy Passed.... or maybe not

Web Hosting

I don't think he's quite gone yet. He posted a couple days ago (on a company website, I think) that he was in rapid decline because of diabetic and heart problems, and a massive infection. The doctors gave him only a couple of day to live. I keep staying in touch with people who know him, and he isn't gone yet.

Here's the latest...

https://dankennedytribute.com/?fbclid=IwAR1k8Bx8rjr-tUF6PfgOVvC1T1wYXiI6peFCMdomjmXixSWAYyiXL6YTJQo

Yeah, I started seeing conflicting reports yesterday. A couple of Facebook groups announced his passing. The messaging was a little confusing. I think most people read that first sentence in his message and assumed he was gone.

2 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Yeah, I started seeing conflicting reports yesterday. A couple of Facebook groups announced his passing. The messaging was a little confusing. I think most people read that first sentence in his message and assumed he was gone.

As of this morning, still alive. I wish I hadn't read about any of this until he was really gone. This waiting for someone to die is agonizing. I can't imagine what his wife is going through.

My guess is that Glazer-Kennedy will turn all this into a marketing campaign. A little bizarre, but then, how could they not?

1 hour ago, Claude Whitacre said:

My guess is that Glazer-Kennedy will turn all this into a marketing campaign. A little bizarre, but then, how could they not?

I'm sure a few will say it is in bad taste, but I also feel like Dan would be disappointed if they didn't try to turn it into a marketing opportunity.

1 hour ago, Mike Friedman said:

I'm sure a few will say it is in bad taste, but I also feel like Dan would be disappointed if they didn't try to turn it into a marketing opportunity.

Taste is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly, I'd be disappointed if they don't monetize this. 

Earlier, I was thinking about Dan Kennedy telling everyone that this was his last event, the last product, the last opportunity....before he retired. I think he's been one day away from retirement for the last 8 years. 

A salesman that worked for me once told me, "I think that if we were on a sales call, and you had a heart attack as the agreement was being signed...when you woke up in the hospital, your first question to me would be "Did you get the deal?"". He may have been right. I think Kennedy thinks the same way. 

If Kennedy had his way, his funeral would sell tickets for $1,000, with a $5,000 Platinum Group upgrade..including a photo with him in his coffin. And in that photo, you'd see a smile on his face.

It still feels weird having people write testimonials to him, and offering condolences...when he's still alive.

If you follow the link in the age I linked to above, you can leave a tribute to Dan Kennedy...with your contact information....here's a link....https://dankennedytribute.com/?page_id=27

I'm tempted to do it, just to see the call I'll get. 

8 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Taste is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly, I'd be disappointed if they don't monetize this. 

Earlier, I was thinking about Dan Kennedy telling everyone that this was his last event, the last product, the last opportunity....before he retired. I think he's been one day away from retirement for the last 8 years. 

A salesman that worked for me once told me, "I think that if we were on a sales call, and you had a heart attack as the agreement was being signed...when you woke up in the hospital, your first question to me would be "Did you get the deal?"". He may have been right. I think Kennedy thinks the same way. 

If Kennedy had his way, his funeral would sell tickets for $1,000, with a $5,000 Platinum Group upgrade..including a photo with him in his coffin. And in that photo, you'd see a smile on his face.

It still feels weird having people write testimonials to him, and offering condolences...when he's still alive.

If you follow the link in the age I linked to above, you can leave a tribute to Dan Kennedy...with your contact information....here's a link....https://dankennedytribute.com/?page_id=27

I'm tempted to do it, just to see the call I'll get. 

I'm wondering if any other guys called Dan will get such attention when close to death. 

2 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I think it was in the book Tuesday's With Morrie where the person who was dying (Morrie) decided to hold a funeral while he was alive. I think he called it a "living funeral". His thinking was why waste all this praise on someone when they cannot be around to enjoy it?

Makes a lot of sense really.

I  guess with all the hoopla and the "not being in bad taste even though some would disagree "  gestures I guess it would be okay to ponder what Dan's real Net Worth truly was ??

Was he a lot of hot air and hype (as some have said) or the real deal with ocean side property next to Tony Robbins in Palm Beach or something of the sorts  ??

On 8/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, discrat said:

I  guess with all the hoopla and the "not being in bad taste even though some would disagree "  gestures I guess it would be okay to ponder what Dan's real Net Worth truly was ??

Was he a lot of hot air and hype (as some have said) or the real deal with ocean side property next to Tony Robbins in Palm Beach or something of the sorts  ??

He lives in a middle class home in (I think) a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. I drove by it once years ago. A nice home in a nice neighborhood. His neighbors (like mine) are mostly doctors, airline pilots, business owners. He used to joke about people paying him for a day of consulting (they always came to him, at his home), and they were shocked that he didn't live in a mansion. Why would he? Do you want to live in a mansion? 

He once answered the question of income, and said that for many years, it was about 7 million a year. (When he put on the big events himself with Bil Glazer) When he sold his interest in Glazer Kennedy, effectively becoming an employee, it went to a million a year. I'm assuming it stayed there until the end. He also kept his personal consulting clients which gave him between $8,000-$15,000 for a day's consulting, and he was booked at least once a week. His one hobby and love was harness racing. He owned racehorses. 

Not everyone wants to live in a castle. Most wealthy people live in middle class homes, sometimes the first home they bought. 

He is/was the real deal in every way that mattered. He has literally created wealthy Gurus in over a hundred niche industries. He is the author of dozens of books on marketing, has created dozens of high end training courses in related fields, Is/was an in demand speaker that got (I believe) a $15,000 guarantee against half the product sales from his talk. 

There is nothing fake about him. Everything he sells is top quality. But he practices what he preaches. Everything he produces (books, video, product) sells something else...usually a coaching program. For a couple decades he put on marketing events that cost $1,500 to attend, plus all the stuff you would buy while there. Between 1,000-2,000 people would attend. He held two such events a year. For ten years or so, I attended most of them.

Oh, and he has/had a high end coaching program. The fee is (I think) $15,000 a year to be in it, and he has a waiting list.  

For decades he has put out a print newsletter that (while I subscribed for several years) has between 5,000 and 7,000 paid subscribers each paying $49 a month. I think it recently went to $59 a month. The lowest entry point to his organization.

I'm not sure about the exact definition of "Real Deal", but I think he qualifies.

49 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

He lives in a middle class home in (I think) a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. I drove by it once years ago. A nice home in a nice neighborhood. His neighbors (like mine) are mostly doctors, airline pilots, business owners. He used to joke about people paying him for a day of consulting (they always came to him, at his home), and they were shocked that he didn't live in a mansion. Why would he? Do you want to live in a mansion? 

He once answered the question of income, and said that for many years, it was about 7 million a year. (When he put on the big events himself with Bil Glazer) When he sold his interest in Glazer Kennedy, effectively becoming an employee, it went to a million a year. I'm assuming it stayed there until the end. He also kept his personal consulting clients which gave him between $8,000-$15,000 for a day's consulting, and he was booked at least once a week. His one hobby and love was harness racing. He owned racehorses. 

Not everyone wants to live in a castle. Most wealthy people live in middle class homes, sometimes the first home they bought. 

He is/was the real deal in every way that mattered. He has literally created wealthy Gurus in over a hundred niche industries. He is the author of dozens of books on marketing, has created dozens of high end training courses in related fields, Is/was an in demand speaker that got (I believe) a $15,000 guarantee against half the product sales from his talk. 

There is nothing fake about him. Everything he sells is top quality. But he practices what he preaches. Everything he produces (books, video, product) sells something else...usually a coaching program. For a couple decades he put on marketing events that cost $1,500 to attend, plus all the stuff you would buy while there. Between 1,000-2,000 people would attend. He held two such events a year. for ten years or so, I attended most of them.

Oh, and he has/had a high end coaching program. The fee is (I think) $15,000 a year to be in it, and he has a waiting list.  

For decades he has put out a print newsletter that (while I subscribed for several years) has between 5,000 and 7,000 paid subscribers each paying $49 a month. I think it recently went to $59 a month. The lowest entry point to his organization.

I'm not sure about the exact definition of "Real Deal", but I think he qualifies.

You seem to have spent a lot of money on Dan Kennedy over the years .. Which leads me to say:"If I had all the money that Claude Whitacre spent on attending Dan Kennedy seminars, I'd be a rich man"

As opposed too: "If I had all the money that Claude Whitacre made doing seminars, I'd be living under a Freeway Bridge"

Benny Hill was very well off by the time ITV (TV Channel) retired him for being sexist (I just thought it harmless sauciness). He had been on tv since the 50's, yet he chose to live in a little rented flat that he had been at for years. I think his only luxuries he had was getting his laundry done at a dry cleaners and eating out.

I watch a channel that has nothing but rich people buying amazing properties, a yacht or a jet etc. You see the woman walking into a master bedroom about the size of my last house and say: "Hmmm, a little small" (always makes me gasp) even though the walk in closet is also the same size of my previous house.It's what your used too, or can get used too.

Personally, I would not need all that space, though a backyard patio with a view of the sea always appeals.

43 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

You seem to have spent a lot of money on Dan Kennedy over the years .. Which leads me to say:"If I had all the money that Claude Whitacre spent on attending Dan Kennedy seminars, I'd be a rich man"

As opposed too: "If I had all the money that Claude Whitacre made doing seminars, I'd be living under a Freeway Bridge"

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about how much money I had spent on seminars, memberships, travel.....and how much I brought in as a speaker (my primary reason to go to marketing events). I know I've spent six figures going to events, buying courses, and being part of a Mastermind group. Much of that went to Kennedy. And I'm a very small fish in that area. And...I did make a lot of money speaking at events, selling my courses.....but if you deduct all the money I spent, and the effort it took,  I'm not sure it was all worth it.

Benny Hill was very well off by the time ITV (TV Channel) retired him for being sexist (I just thought it harmless sauciness). He had been on tv since the 50's, yet he chose to live in a little rented flat that he had been at for years. I think his only luxuries he had was getting his laundry done at a dry cleaners and eating out.

I watch a channel that has nothing but rich people buying amazing properties, a yacht or a jet etc. You see the woman walking into a master bedroom about the size of my last house and say: "Hmmm, a little small" (always makes me gasp) even though the walk in closet is also the same size of my previous house.It's what your used too, or can get used too.

Personally, I would not need all that space, though a backyard patio with a view of the sea always appeals.

In the book The Millionaire Next Door, a study was done of millionaires who earned between a million and ten million a year. Most lived in modest homes. Usually the first one they bought after getting married. The most popular vehicle is...ready....a red Chevy pick up truck. If they drink, most drink regular beer like everyone else. Almost none go to parties or spend money extravagantly.

And here is the reason. Making large sums of money is a different mindset than spending large sums of money. Most millionaires started with very little. They came from poor families. Ambition, timing, luck, and intelligence made them rich over a long period of time. But they are still the same person that started out poor. 

Who spends all the money? who puts on all the big parties? Who buys the yachts? an island vacation home? The people who inherited money, won it, or married into it, and got divorced. 

Most people who become wealthy aren't stupid. They got rich by not blowing every dollar they made. I'm talking about business wealthy, not actor-sports wealthy. Most people that are rich...stay that way because they know how to handle large sums of money.

The people that wear custom suits, drive exotic cars, wear expensive jewelry? These are people that sell to the wealthy. They aren't usually wealthy themselves.  

The average millionaire questioned (in the book) spends about 6% a year of what they actually earn. Most of us spend about 100%. 

My uncle (my Dad's brother) was in real estate. He earned tens of millions of dollars when that was considered real wealth. (the 1960s-1980s) He still lived, with my aunt, in the small farm they bought when they got married. He drove a 10 year old car, wore jeans, and kept every receipt. 

That's always intrigued me, the people who inherit it or win it spend it.The people who earn it don't.

Let's say you earn 20 million free and clear. yes, you appreciate how hard you worked to get it, the value  but ultimately you just want to earn more, to be even more rich and successful. It's a drug.You have all that money and could instantly retire, take up interesting pursuits, invest much of it into the safest of investments and still earn enough to live like a king, but many don't.

The earning of even more money becomes the sole pursuit, the hobby the interest in life, even though it's not necessary, it becomes like and as addictive as gambling, you could lose it all with one or two bad investments.

I think if I got to that point of 20 million, I would be able to detach myself and stop, a million say on a home, lots of vacations, a cleaner. etc..what's the point of having it if you can't stop and enjoy it.

Let's say you "earned" 20 million in your younger years. Would you have had the courage to recognise that and stop and just enjoy it? 

4 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

In the book The Millionaire Next Door, a study was done of millionaires who earned between a million and ten million a year. Most lived in modest homes. Usually the first one they bought after getting married. The most popular vehicle is...ready....a red Chevy pick up truck. If they drink, most drink regular beer like everyone else. Almost none go to parties or spend money extravagantly.

Warren Buffet still lives in the modest home in Omaha, Nebraska him and his wife bought when they were first married before he became one of the richest people in history.

Interestingly enough, he also pays himself as head honcho of Berkshire Hathaway a (comparatively) modest salary of $100k a year, whereas he could justify paying himself many millions.

2 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Interestingly enough, he also pays himself as head honcho of Berkshire Hathaway a (comparatively) modest salary of $100k a year, whereas he could justify paying himself many millions.

I also heard somewhere where Billy Graham took that amount out for his yearly salary ( and that was it)  unlike the Benny Hinns of the world who take out 7 to 8 digits per year and more from their huge congregations across the globe

A side note...a little inside baseball.

Dan Kennedy and Bill Glazer get (as of a few years ago) a guaranteed fee to speak for any group. I think Glazer is guaranteed $8,000 and Kennedy is guaranteed $15,000.

That fee is paid no matter how many show up, or whether anything is bought from them as a speaker.

But both of them only speak when they are selling a program. A Keynote speech (where they can't sell) isn't what they do. 

I've been in an audience when either Kennedy or Glazer sold $50,000 in programs...and I watched Kennedy sell $500,000 in his programs...all from one 90 minute speech.

The event organizer (almost always a guru to his own niche industry) get 50% of the money. Glazer or Kennedy gets the other 50%.  It's very standard in the speaking business. 

The big money makers in speaking aren't the ones that get the fees for speaking. Those guys can't sell. The big money is in selling something to the audience, from the stage.

Usually 80 minutes of great content, and a ten minute pitch at the end. Very few people can sell well from the stage.

Added later; Here is th single best presentation I've seen on stage at a Dan Kennedy event. I watched as 450 people went to the back of the room...and each plopped down $500.

Enjoy.