Sign in to follow this  
Lanfear63

Bezos Pledges 10 Billion To Fight Climate Change

SEMrush

2 minutes ago, Lanfear63 said:

He's worth 130 but still a nice chunk of change out of his fortune.(8%)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51539321

He's an idiot. Global warming is a hoax. All the temperature increases are lies, and all the climatologists are in on it. Oh, and those weather girls? They are in on it too. 

That fact that I live in Ohio...in February...and haven't had to shovel snow at all this year.....or last year.....is a coincidence. 

2 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

He's an idiot. Global warming is a hoax. All the temperature increases are lies, and all the climatologists are in on it. Oh, and those weather girls? They are in on it too. 

That fact that I live in Ohio...in February...and haven't had to to pay someone to shovel snow at all this year.....or last year.....is a coincidence. 

Fixed

He just wants to protect The Amazon

I would so love to be a weathah girl.

You want easy access brightness despite alla the evident clouds?

Kiss of hunny 'pon your flesh in the face of direst freeze?

Coupla bottles of real sweet vino, whatevah the frickin' barometah got gowin' down?

Hey, here's undeniably downhome atmosphere wants to smoochie with your ass!

For stylin', I would run with orange pants an' a plain white T, hair jus' natchrl.

Any trouble, Devil's advocate got my I QUIT panties prepurposed for EZ Drop headline in the advent of curmudguonly nooz anchor dissin' my ass.

1 hour ago, Mike Friedman said:

To be honest, if he keeps doing this, I think I'm okay with Amazon continuing to avoid paying taxes.

I heard someone on the radio today who described the foundation as Bezos' own personal tax haven. Plus he gets a deduction for "donating" the money to it.

A bit harsh perhaps, however if he actually puts it to the claimed use, it should be commended I guess.

5 minutes ago, whateverpedia said:

I heard someone on the radio today who described the foundation as Bezos' own personal tax haven. Plus he gets a deduction for "donating" the money to it.

A bit harsh perhaps, however if he actually puts it to the claimed use, it should be commended I guess.

I don't love their business practices, but considering the current U.S. administration has decided that climate change doesn't exist and we should just ignore it, this is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, whateverpedia said:

Whenever I read something like "It's a tax write off" I remember that it doesn't mean it's free. He still gave all the money, he just didn't have to pay taxes on the contribution.

But ....he still paid 10 billion real dollars.

A guy came into our store asking me to donate to his cause by advertising in his book.. He told me it was (I think) $200. I thought about it and said 'I don't think so', and he said 'but it's tax deductable".

And I said "Yes. That means it only costs me $200".

Another perspective on Bezos' philanthropy:

It’s a story worth keeping in mind when thinking about Bezos’s latest philanthropic wheeze: $10bn “to explore new ways of fighting the devastating impact of climate change”. That’s a month after Amazon threatened to sack employees who spoke out about the company’s climate crisis policies.

So, if anyone is paying for Bezos’s philanthropy it’s Amazon’s workers, on whose backs he has become the richest man in the world. Rather than flaunting his philanthropy, Bezos might try providing decent wages and better conditions. Charity, they say, begins at home. Or in your warehouse.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/23/charity-does-not-begin-at-home-for-jeff-bezos-amazon