Sign in to follow this  
Lanfear63

Daredevil Dies After Launching Himself In Gas Powered Rocket To Prove Flat Earth

He probably ran out of  Gas. Now if that had been Claude..

He had previously been successful with his homemade rocket but had not achieved the altitude he sought. Also held the record for jumping the furthest (horizontally) in a Limouzine. (103 feet)

Story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655

I watch a large You-Tube channel where a British guy: "Scimandan", debunks mainly Flat Earthers, but does a few other topics. Very entertaining. He just destroys the videos these people put out with science. The perpetrators of these vid's are truly deluded and have a complete lack of scientific understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRtsZ5Iak9wSLsQLQ3XOAeA/videos

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin
20 minutes ago, whateverpedia said:

Whereas he didn't prove the earth was flat, he certainly proved the existence of gravity. I won't bother with an RIP as the world is a much rounder place for his demise.

I made a comment on one of the higher profile flat earthers You-Tube channel a while back. I said why don't a load of your supporters band together and charter a plane that has a good non fisheye cockpit window view and go seven miles up, about a mile higher than some transatlantic jets travel which would give a clear view the curvature of the earth,  When you come down you can make the announcement that you were wrong and close your channel. 

I got the idea from an innocent video I saw where a guy actually did that and filmed it, not to prove flat the earth was round or flat, just for the experience of going that high. The curvature of the earth could clearly be seen. A flat earther had grabbed it to critique it and narrate over it, his views

Both him and In the comments  were loads flat earthers crying fake, he's using a fisheye camera lens, or the cockpit glass was distorting the view, making it look curved.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:40 AM, Lanfear63 said:

He probably ran out of  Gas. Now if that had been Claude..

He had previously been successful with his homemade rocket but had not achieved the altitude he sought. Also held the record for jumping the furthest (horizontally) in a Limouzine. (103 feet)

Story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655

I watch a large You-Tube channel where a British guy: "Scimandan", debunks mainly Flat Earthers, but does a few other topics. Very entertaining. He just destroys the videos these people put out with science. The perpetrators of these vid's are truly deluded and have a complete lack of scientific understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRtsZ5Iak9wSLsQLQ3XOAeA/videos

Read about him today, or one of his parachutes teared off when he launched and the other, didn't work well enough to break his fall. This was an idiot that was headed for an early death, a pity other Flat Earthers,...didn't do likewise.

And he could have put a camera on a hot air balloon to achieve the same affect, but of course the lenze would be to blame for the round earth, and the electronics and vibe.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Mike Friedman said:

evolution thumbs up GIF

We make fun of Flat Earthers...but only because they believe different absurd nonsense than we do.

But I hear things literally every day from customers and friends...that are just as batchit crazy.  

Here is a reality. Half the population on Earth has below average intelligence. And the majority of this group has no idea that they are in that group.

And...we are taught things as children.... myths, old wives tales, superstitions...that we hold dear, and no amount of reason will penetrate this shield of nonsense.

This is us, we are the flat Earthers. 

47 minutes ago, Claude Whitacre said:

We make fun of Flat Earthers...but only because they believe different absurd nonsense than we do.

But I hear things literally every day from customers and friends...that are just as batchit crazy.  

Here is a reality. Half the population on Earth has below average intelligence. And the majority of this group has no idea that they are in that group.

And...we are taught things as children.... myths, old wives tales, superstitions...that we hold dear, and no amount of reason will penetrate this shield of nonsense.

Ha ha...you said penetrate!

6 hours ago, Dan Riffle said:

Ha ha...you said penetrate!

He also said something that l find hilarious, but l am not quoting.

:P

18 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

I disagree a bit.

Flat Earthers are a special kind of stupid. Watch some of their videos about their "evidence" that the Earth is flat. It's infuriating just how dumb these idiots are.

I saw one guy get into a plane with a glass of water and fly across country. His "theory" was that if the Earth was round, we would have seen the top level of the water in the glass tilt as we went around the curve of the Earth, completely ignoring that gravity originates from the center of the Earth and not a point directly below the Earth.

3 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

I disagree a bit.

Flat Earthers are a special kind of stupid. Watch some of their videos about their "evidence" that the Earth is flat. It's infuriating just how dumb these idiots are.

I saw one guy get into a plane with a glass of water and fly across country. His "theory" was that if the Earth was round, we would have seen the top level of the water in the glass tilt as we went around the curve of the Earth, completely ignoring that gravity originates from the center of the Earth and not a point directly below the Earth.

I understand. I've heard dumber arguments against evolution and global warming.

I think much of this is a matter of education, not just stupidity. If you have no knowledge of science, just about everything makes equal sense. 

For example, your post shows knowledge of how gravity works, and why all planets are spherical. Many people cannot make that connection.

I'm not joking. 25% of Americans do not know if the Earth revolves around the sun, or the Sun revolves around the Earth. Half don't believe in evolution, the big bang, or that electrons are smaller than atoms. Half think anti-biotics kill viruses. 

And, I think I mentioned in another thread that lots of people lead normal lives with severe prefrontal lobe damage..either due to a birth defect or trauma. It's just much harder for them to make these connections. And all statements seem equally plausible. .

Most people are smart enough to survive, and not much else. About 40% of adults in America have not read a book in the last year. And most books read are fiction. Only 15% of books read are any form of non-fiction.

1 hour ago, Claude Whitacre said:

Half think anti-biotics kill viruses. 

I think I could give most people a pass on this one. Most people have no idea there is a difference between a bacteria and viruses. They are all just microscopic organisms to them. Of course, many also think that God sent them hear as punishment for being accepting of the LGBTQ community.

All I know is, penetrative vex is a real headache.

tbh if'n all the key info were not readily available in high schools, libraries, internets an' stuff, gotta figure plenty people would default to wayback solootions.

But if Kuhn got it right 'bout transformative paradigms, even the nouveau ignorant would find their way back to the truth.

For sure I would nevah wanna spend my days walkin' round in circles on a flat earth fulla nowan gowin' noplace.

You gotta strike out, always.

An' from your noo vantage, prolly you can re-evaluate stuff cos you got a noo pointa view.

That is why seekers always figure science stuffs like telescopes.

Then, when they pointed the way, the engineers get us out there to that noo horizon.

Gaze back from this place, whole world looks different.

Tellya, when I gaze out at the moon sum nights, she so beautiful I could grab her outta the sky.

But that is only is bcs I don't live there.

Hell yeah — who would wanna live on the moon?

It is jus' NUTHIN', far as the eye can see ...

On 2/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, Claude Whitacre said:

I'm not joking. 25% of Americans do not know if the Earth revolves around the sun, or the Sun revolves around the Earth. Half don't believe in evolution, the big bang, or that electrons are smaller than atoms. Half think anti-biotics kill viruses. 

I know quoting yourself is weird. 

But I was thinking about how these figures seemed low. And then i re-read the statistics. 

25% of the people who were asked if the Earth revolved around the Sun, or the Sun revolved around the Earth...got it wrong. But that means they didn't know, and guessed wrong. which means that half of the people who didn't know, guessed right. 

So the reality is;

Half of the people in the US don't know whether the Earth revolves around the Sun or the Sun revolves around the Earth. Half are unaware of what the Big Bang is.

This reality is unbelievable to me...until I factor in that the majority of people are not curious at all about anything outside their immediate lives.

Speaking of stupid people, I heard on the radio today that in reaction to what is probably the biggest news story around the world, sales of Corona beer are down to their lowest level in 3 years.

What, these people think you're going to catch the virus from cracking open a cold one?

Sheesh!

4 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Speaking of stupid people, I heard on the radio today that in reaction to what is probably the biggest news story around the world, sales of Corona beer are down to their lowest level in 3 years.

What, these people think you're going to catch the virus from cracking open a cold one?

Sheesh!

Yes...yes they do.

Remember the candy AIDS? Same thing. 

I suspect that Riffle Beer, would suffer the same fate.

6 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Sheesh!

I'd already thought of that one as a joke, "I'm not going to get the virus as I have given up drinking Corona".. seems like some idiots think it's for real.

But you did not get my other one. "I went for a Chinese meal two weeks ago..I've just got out of quarantine"

I've given some thought as to why some people believe the Earth is flat.

Assuming no knowledge of physics, I can see why someone not into astronomy would assume the world is flat. I can understand why people thousands of years ago thought the world was flat. It's intuitive.

But why do some modern people find it impossible to believe the world is a sphere? To understand how this works, we have to be able to imagine in three dimensions, and ignore the effect of gravity. For example, you se in videos of people in the International Space Station, showing a bit of water. The water always turns into a sphere, because that way gravity (which is absent externally) forces the molecules together, and a sphere is the most economical space.

I strongly suspect that there is something missing in these "Flat Earther"s brains that won't allow them to see this image, and understand how it works. That, and these people are generally poorly educated. Bu I truly think it's a brain issue, just not having the ability to see the effects of microgravity (even on a planetary scale), in a zero gravity environment (like space).

Anyway, it's a guess.