Sign in to follow this  
DarthSCULPT

Gonna start a new blog, where to find writers? Or is that a good idea?

Pretty much all I study is religion and local SEO, and I already have a religious blog so I bought a domain - localseotheory.com - and I want to start blogging on my thoughts, takes, experiments, etc.

I also thought about opening it up to other local SEO guys to write articles - just the Spartans here though - but maybe no one wants to do that. I could do iWriter I suppose...

Annnnnnnd....I want to monetize it at some point.  :ph34r:  What's the best route there?

SEMrush

I hate iWriter. Piss poor quality. If you are going to go with a service like that, Text Broker is much better.

Truthfully though, if you are opening a blog like that, I would imagine you really want to be writing almost all of the content. That's how you are going to establish credibility as a person to listen to in the field. If all you are doing is hosting everyone else's content, I'm not sure where the benefit is going to be for you.

I hate iWriter. Piss poor quality. If you are going to go with a service like that, Text Broker is much better.

Truthfully though, if you are opening a blog like that, I would imagine you really want to be writing almost all of the content. That's how you are going to establish credibility as a person to listen to in the field. If all you are doing is hosting everyone else's content, I'm not sure where the benefit is going to be for you.

I also had some issues with iWriter, but it's the first one that came to mind. I would probably do all the writing myself, but I did, briefly, think it would be cool if three writers, from different parts of the country, all wrote about the same topic once a week - "competing in a tough local niche with limited client budget" for example - to get different perspectives, insights, etc as the weekly feature.

One (or two) new articles per week. Sounded legit to me. And people would get alternatives to my fringe theories and kooky experimentals.

Well, apparently my idea is less-than-awesome, so I may shelve it or Han Solo the thing. I pretty much got ridiculed on Reddit for then mention of it, but since the SEO subreddit is Troll Mountain I don't feel as shellacked. 

I have no idea what the group at Reddit said, but I think the problem with the idea is WIIFT. What's In It For Them? 

If people are going to publish content on someone else's site, there would need to be a decent sized built in readership already to make it worth their while.

I have no idea what the group at Reddit said, but I think the problem with the idea is WIIFT. What's In It For Them? 

If people are going to publish content on someone else's site, there would need to be a decent sized built in readership already to make it worth their while.

Right, having other writers was a bad idea. Possibly the whole idea is bad, but I may throw something up and see if it sticks. Nothing profound or groundbreaking, just some place to store my thoughts.

Right, having other writers was a bad idea. Possibly the whole idea is bad, but I may throw something up and see if it sticks. Nothing profound or groundbreaking, just some place to store my thoughts.

Honestly, I would go with your idea and just see where it takes you. Your business and website is only as good as the content and effort you place into it. You can find writers that would enjoy placing their works on your website, perhaps offer a Column of the week where you feature someone's post. As a recent graduate from college, myself and other classmates would write part time for websites and blogs for some small amounts of income- you can find writers, quality writers, but you need to have incentives for their work to enhance your website idea.  I do like your idea though, I would check the compeition in your area, your state/provience, and go from there.

Honestly, I would go with your idea and just see where it takes you. Your business and website is only as good as the content and effort you place into it. You can find writers that would enjoy placing their works on your website, perhaps offer a Column of the week where you feature someone's post. As a recent graduate from college, myself and other classmates would write part time for websites and blogs for some small amounts of income- you can find writers, quality writers, but you need to have incentives for their work to enhance your website idea.  I do like your idea though, I would check the compeition in your area, your state/provience, and go from there.

Thanks, zswa. I'll build the site and see what the future will bring. I do appreciate the reassurance. 

Thanks, zswa. I'll build the site and see what the future will bring. I do appreciate the reassurance. 

Honestly, a website start-up is what you make of it. There are plenty of industries that we said we back in the day (that will never be successful) and look at them now. Time, effort, research, awesome content, and amazing marketing will help. This is what this forum is all about, helping each other get their dreams fullfilled.