Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

Local SEO Update

Sounds like Google did some sort of update to their local search algorithm over the weekend. Lots of chatter about it. 

http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/32221-major-google-local-algo-changes-results-less-localized.html

It was kind of expected after the recent racist local Google bomb activities. I'm seeing some really odd results.

I'm seeing several Craigslist results on page 2 for some local searches. I cannot remember ever seeing that.

My SEO business, which I have never made an attempt to rank locally (I do outreach and targeted advertising to businesses I want for most of my clients) jumped up in the local pack to #2 for a couple of keywords. 

For a lot of local keywords, I'm only seeing organic results, no local pack anymore.

Anyone else seeing anything fun?

SEMrush

One of my client sites dropped from #3 to #16. That sucks. A second site dropped from #2 to #9, but that's not getting much traffic anyway. I'll have to wait for the dust to settle to see if this is going to be temporary or not.

I'm thinking a lot of it is going to be temporary. They probably had to rip a lot of the local algorithm out to fix it after those racist Google bombs happened. Probably see a lot of crazy fluctuations for a week or so.

Google still hasn't fixed the breadcrumb on the SERPs.

It's looking like they're more vulnerable than one would expect from a billion dollar business.

Google still hasn't fixed the breadcrumb on the SERPs.

It's looking like they're more vulnerable than one would expect from a billion dollar business.

True. In their defense though, holy shit what a big and complicated target.

Mine and my clients stuff is bouncing all over the place. This morning I see that it's all freaking out yet again...

All the gains I had from the first of the months google change seem to have disappeared.

A few keywords I'm not targeting but tracking got pretty beat up, off the index on one. "State" "General Practice Area" "Attorney/Lawyer" Hardly anyone searches for that, but that's what I've made the homepage since I'm targeting the big metro areas in the state with silos (so landing pages are 1-2 levels in).

Was also forced to do a redesign because Fresh Roasted Hosting freaked out on me, so perhaps those are taken into account to (but the silo keywords haven't inched much)