Sign in to follow this  
wedreamseo

PPC & Doorway Pages

SEMrush

Give me $15,000 per day, everyday & I'll let you run 100% affiliate links on my sites.

Money makes the world go round.

Guess I'll have to rank a few more Amazon sites first before we reach such levels.

I do know someone that spends $10k+/month on Adwords & BIng, they allow him but he must send traffic to his non monetized category pages, cause of that conversion loss he doesn't have a lot to spend per click, opposed to bestreviews.com that regularly shows up at the top of the paid results.

Do have to start experimenting with PPC once my semi-authority sites are complete, it's pretty easy money really once it's all setup and split tested.

I don't know. The definition of a doorway page is pretty grey I guess. There is a lot of wiggle room.

That page you linked to I would say is a pretty solid page.

If you think it is a doorway page because it has Amazon links, that would mean all pages with affiliate links are doorway pages, and Google has not yet taken that stance.

I don't know. The definition of a doorway page is pretty grey I guess. There is a lot of wiggle room.

That page you linked to I would say is a pretty solid page.

If you think it is a doorway page because it has Amazon links, that would mean all pages with affiliate links are doorway pages, and Google has not yet taken that stance.

You really have a serious problem agreeing with me isn't it? Everyone can see that it's very clearly a doorway page, heck the whole comparison graph at the top of the page is hyper linked while the rest is filler content. My god.

Let's merge 5 standard reviews from a decent writer and we have a solid page lol.

You really have a serious problem agreeing with me isn't it? Everyone can see that it's very clearly a doorway page, heck the whole comparison graph at the top of the page is hyper linked while the rest is filler content. My god.

Let's merge 5 standard reviews from a decent writer and we have a solid page lol.

Okay. So what would you say they would need to change to make it not a doorway page? Does every page with Amazon links qualify as a doorway page in your mind? If not, what does a page have to do to not be a doorway page?

I think they do a much, much better job than most "best reviews" type sites you see out there. Sure the comparison chart is linked, but it also has some useful content in it. I like their approach to reviews where they do it by category and then list each product. Then the next category and so on. It is much better than the standard fare of 5 reviews back-to-back on one page.

I bet that if I would run PPC ads for such site that they would temporarily lock my account (or perhaps ban me, not sure what their policy is) and forbid me from starting a campaign again.

They would have to link only from the bottom of the comparison graph to individual reviews or using jump tags down the page with the site.com/# stuff, and from there they could link to Amazon, that would make it much less of a doorway page.

On the other hand the ads teams tell people they make an exception for some sites with paid traffic under the condition that they do NOT target monetized pages with their ads.

Imo Google treats almost every monetized review page as a doorway page when it belongs to a small site owner. Once I got a thin content penalty, afterwards I replaced all content by outsourcing to a much better writers and the penalty wasn't lifted after I filed for reinclusion, that's just one of those things.

Thought Google was so strict with doorway pages...

Then how come bestreviews.com is spending ten thousands of dollars on Adwords and send the traffic directly to something that's nothing more than a doorway page:

http://bestreviews.com/best-3d-printers

And obvious they get away with it, nice double standars that they apply at Google.

I realize this post is extremely old but, it's a cross comparison page. They compared the products together, so they added value. The page you linked is 100% complaint with the rules, it's definitely not a doorway page.

The adwords rules are pretty vague and confusing, I just wanted to post explaining them to an extent.

It's not a bias based on the rules, it's actually understanding them. The doorway page rule is definitely tricky, but if you're cross comparing products from different companies, you should be fine since you're adding value.

As far as I can tell, they're still running this ad and they're not banned and they're not going to get banned, as again, they're 100% complaint with the rules.

Look at http://bestreviews.com/5-best-hover-boards

and

http://bestreviews.com/5-best-waist-cinchers

If you want to want to believe those are doorway pages, you can, but they're not.

A doorway page is when you show Googlebot one thing and another thing is shown to readers i.e. spamdexing.. Typically such pages rank for a completely unrelated terms given that users are redirected elsewhere.

I would describe the page not as a doorway page - but as a bridge page, especially as it violates the Adwords bridge page policy. Its this policy which almost makes it impossible for Affiliates to use Adwords in the first place...

Its very obviously an Amazon affiliate site as other vendor comparisons are not made hence its in total violation. Just comparing products which can all be found one one vendor site is not allowed. In the past a lot of site comparison sites got hammered by Adwords because of that...

Further the "As Seen On CNN, Time, Forbes, etc" - which is not substantiated means that it also violates the "user safety" policy and further I do not see any disclaimers, disclosures which should be another reason not to approve it given the business model of the site.

Having a look at the review - I also see exaggerated claims such as ""Most Affordable 3D Printer... ... majority of owners, wholeheartedly agree with"  - Unless there is a link to a study then I also know that such claims are not allowed.

As you may tell I've had issues with Adwords in the past and in fact spent almost 4 months getting my account restored, with implementing tons of changes almost amounting to 100 page document... Learned a ton along the way and wear that battle scar like a tattoo on the arm lol....

When it comes down to it - it depends on who you get as your Adwords reviewer... It also seems to me that pretty much all sites are in violation of the rules if you look hard enough. Hence get the wrong reviewer who just has it out for you and it could be an impossible situation to get out off...

I would describe the page not as a doorway page - but as a bridge page, especially as it violates the Adwords bridge page policy. Its this policy which almost makes it impossible for Affiliates to use Adwords in the first place...

Its very obviously an Amazon affiliate site as other vendor comparisons are not made hence its in total violation. Just comparing products which can all be found one one vendor site is not allowed. In the past a lot of site comparison sites got hammered by Adwords because of that...

It's not a bridge page, it's a page with unique content with a cross comparison of different products. This provides value. Visitors land on the page, engage with the content, and potentially buy something. It's complaint with the rules. I'm sure the owner of that site can prove they had ads/content/links on those sites. Notice it says “as seen in” and not “as seen on.” They disclose they are an amazon associate on the terms and conditions page.

I’m also sure their claims are valid, the word affordable does not have a clearly defined meaning in every context. Like the word best, without context something can almost always “the best” and a valid claim. This is why a mansion or a yacht can be considered affordable and Gillet can be the best a man can get. Gillet is a brand, I don’t think the brand is for sale, so how can I even get Gillet? This claim is completely meaningless, it just sounds good. They can't be referring to the products they sell, since those are products men use to make themselves look more like women and I don't think the claim works in that context. Looking over the site I can clearly see their claims are all very carefully worded. It’s either a claim based upon facts or they use a word like “competitive.” Competitive in what context? Are we talking about consumer products or aerospace?

Show me where in the rules it says you have to use multiple vendors? If it's a comparison of products from one manufacturer, then I’m sure that information is available on their official website, so that’s a bridge page since the content isn’t unique and it doesn’t provide value that can’t be found elsewhere.

It's not a bridge page, it's a page with unique content with a cross comparison of different products. This provides value. Visitors land on the page, engage with the content, and potentially buy something. It's complaint with the rules. I'm sure the owner of that site can prove they had ads/content/links on those sites. Notice it says “as seen in” and not “as seen on.” They disclose they are an amazon associate on the terms and conditions page.

I’m also sure their claims are valid, the word affordable does not have a clearly defined meaning in every context. Like the word best, without context something can almost always “the best” and a valid claim. This is why a mansion or a yacht can be considered affordable and Gillet can be the best a man can get. Gillet is a brand, I don’t think the brand is for sale, so how can I even get Gillet? This claim is completely meaningless, it just sounds good. They can't be referring to the products they sell, since those are products men use to make themselves look more like women and I don't think the claim works in that context. Looking over the site I can clearly see their claims are all very carefully worded. It’s either a claim based upon facts or they use a word like “competitive.” Competitive in what context? Are we talking about consumer products or aerospace?

Show me where in the rules it says you have to use multiple vendors? If it's a comparison of products from one manufacturer, then I’m sure that information is available on their official website, so that’s a bridge page since the content isn’t unique and it doesn’t provide value that can’t be found elsewhere.

The page is most definitely 100% a bridge page... i.e. In order to make a purchase a person has to click on a link to go to another website in order to make a purchase.... Simple... No amount of lipstick or makeup hides that fact!!!

A comparison shopping site is one which compares products/services of various vendors... As mentioned as all of the products shown are Amazon - I do know this can cause problems...

Seriously do your own research if you have questions instead of busting balls... As a starter:

Google bans price comparison sites

Adwords kept getting disapproved ??

Adwords Bridge Policy (Affiliate) - How to Avoid it?

how to create ad for comparison shopping site

The sneaky tactic Google is using to kill price comparison websites

Google Bans Itself Again By Banning BeatThatQuote.com

Google no longer all gooey over price comparison sites?

Noting last link reference:

I used to get landing pages rejected with a message along the lines of "comparison shopping pages must have 3 or more different retailers listed". Wish I could find that email ....

"Bridge pages offer little functionality beyond driving traffic elsewhere. Travel aggregator or shopping comparison sites, for example, cannot simply drive traffic to a single online merchant [my emphasis]. To make such sites valuable to users, offer compelling features like reviews, comparison charts [my emphasis], rating scales, or sorting or filtering capabilities."

A comparison shopping site is one which compares products/services of various vendors... As mentioned as all of the products shown are Amazon - I do know this can cause problems...

I would argue against this. They are different manufacturers. The models just happen to be sold at Amazon.

"Bridge pages offer little functionality beyond driving traffic elsewhere. Travel aggregator or shopping comparison sites, for example, cannot simply drive traffic to a single online merchant [my emphasis]. To make such sites valuable to users, offer compelling features like reviews, comparison charts [my emphasis], rating scales, or sorting or filtering capabilities."

Considering the review they wrote below the chart going into detail on each model in different categories, I think they covered this.

I would argue against this. They are different manufacturers. The models just happen to be sold at Amazon.

"Bridge pages offer little functionality beyond driving traffic elsewhere. Travel aggregator or shopping comparison sites, for example, cannot simply drive traffic to a single online merchant [my emphasis]. To make such sites valuable to users, offer compelling features like reviews, comparison charts [my emphasis], rating scales, or sorting or filtering capabilities."

Considering the review they wrote below the chart going into detail on each model in different categories, I think they covered this.

Well I'm speaking from personal experience and as alluded earlier it really depends on who you get for the Adwords review... Get unlucky and it can be a disaster... Been through that - provided a massive amount of details with regards to review, comparison data etc and still at the end of it - zero progress...

Doesn't matter about different manufacturers - plenty of folks have got that dreaded email which states - 3 or more different retailers listed... and in this case Amazon is just one retailer...

I spend over 4 months making changes with it amounting to almost 100 pages of screenshots and explanations before I managed to get my Adwords account restored... I only got it back after changing the business model entirely - hint to those folks whom lose their Adwords account the only way to get it back is to go through the pain of resolving the violations...

Tons of folks have been hammered on that and its clear the way Adwords operates its very contradictory... In particular the Bridge policy and promoting products as an affiliate is one that some folks at Adwords really hate...

With regards to other policies such as user safety - I can also tell you from past experience that particular site is in violation - e.g. using logo's from other parties without expressed permission, misleading./exaggerated claims without any scientific/statistical backup etc...

Like elcidofaguy said, unfortunately sometimes it really is a matter of who is looking at the site. 

For this website, I think most people can see where the effort was put in to provide something useful and of value to anyone who visits the page. I think most reviewers would agree that it is a worthwhile and quality page versus a blatant doorway page. That does not mean that there are not a few Google reviewers out there who would not see it differently.

Seriously do your own research if you have questions instead of busting balls... As a starter:

I really hate when people tell me to do my own research even though I clearly have.

I don't have any issues with my current adwords campaigns.

It sounds like you got in trouble for breaking a rule and they were being really harsh with you after that.

Somebody at some point gave me very good advice about adwords: always call them up on the phone. Sometimes you can get an explanation instead of just a disapproval. But from hearing from other people, yourself included, as soon as you get banned it's almost impossible to get your account back and they don't want to work with you. They will make you jump through hoops and fix every "violation" of their extremely vague rules. I honestly think it's part of their internal policy to make anybody who was banned modify their pages about 50 times before they're allowed back. If you're off by one pixel, they'll won't tell you and you can have fun figuring out that you are technically violating the arbitrage rule, even though a bunch of sites are doing it.

Between the phone games, the insane rules, the insanely complicated interface (I'm buying ads here not operating the space shuttle), and the fact that you can lose your account over a rule that they won't explain; I've determined that I should only use adwords on certain projects. If it's your own product, it's definitely much easier to work with them. Which after all the trouble you had to go through, I hope you have seriously considered product creation.

I feel bad for you that you got banned, that's a giant pain to get resolved without borrowing someone else's identity. A tip here would be to have somebody else with an adwords account call them up and try to explain some of the problems with a site that is very similar but there's no way to tie the accounts together. Since that person is not banned they will usually be more willing to help the person work with the rules.

I really do think that site is fine though, we'll see, maybe in six months it will be banned. It appears (from their about page) that they have a physical location where they supposedly test these items, if they can prove they're actually testing this stuff and it's not fabricated, I'm sure the adwords team will be much more lenient over the problems you are discussing.

I really hate when people tell me to do my own research even though I clearly have.

I don't have any issues with my current adwords campaigns.

It sounds like you got in trouble for breaking a rule and they were being really harsh with you after that.

Somebody at some point gave me very good advice about adwords: always call them up on the phone. Sometimes you can get an explanation instead of just a disapproval. But from hearing from other people, yourself included, as soon as you get banned it's almost impossible to get your account back and they don't want to work with you. They will make you jump through hoops and fix every "violation" of their extremely vague rules. I honestly think it's part of their internal policy to make anybody who was banned modify their pages about 50 times before they're allowed back. If you're off by one pixel, they'll won't tell you and you can have fun figuring out that you are technically violating the arbitrage rule, even though a bunch of sites are doing it.

Between the phone games, the insane rules, the insanely complicated interface (I'm buying ads here not operating the space shuttle), and the fact that you can lose your account over a rule that they won't explain; I've determined that I should only use adwords on certain projects. If it's your own product, it's definitely much easier to work with them. Which after all the trouble you had to go through, I hope you have seriously considered product creation.

I feel bad for you that you got banned, that's a giant pain to get resolved without borrowing someone else's identity. A tip here would be to have somebody else with an adwords account call them up and try to explain some of the problems with a site that is very similar but there's no way to tie the accounts together. Since that person is not banned they will usually be more willing to help the person work with the rules.

I really do think that site is fine though, we'll see, maybe in six months it will be banned. It appears (from their about page) that they have a physical location where they supposedly test these items, if they can prove they're actually testing this stuff and it's not fabricated, I'm sure the adwords team will be much more lenient over the problems you are discussing.

Well I really hate it when folks demand proof when I've stated something a few times and the info is relatively easy to find, especially when trying to help...

Indeed I got my account suspended - but if you read my posts you would also realize that I also got my account back...!!!

Further I can tell you I spent literally days on end on the telephone with Adwords... That's why I am speaking from experience and know their policies in detail i.e. bridge page, user safety, info harvesting etc...