Sign in to follow this  
yukon

Absolute1 - Wordpress Silo Theme

This is a new Wordpress Silo theme I've built.

[Note]

You will need to log in to this forum to download the silo theme. If you don't already have a forum profile you can create one for free.

The theme is minimal & only works with Wordpress Pages, there's no option for regular blog Post style pages.

Home page setup:

The theme Home page is a static Wordpress Page, you'll need to create a new Wordpress Page, Save the Page & then go to the Setting > Reading page on the left sidebar of the Wordpress Admin., select your new page as the Home page (screenshot below).

screenshot3.png

Home Page Sidebar Parent Page Links:

The Parent Page links listed in the right sidebar on the Home page are activated by adding a Wordpress Tag ( homepage1 ) to each individual Parent page.

screenshot12.png

Top Navigation Links:

The top site wide navigation links are based on Wordpress Pages & Wordpress Tags. The way to include a page in the top navigation links is to create a Tag named headerlinks1. Below is a screenshot of a Wordpress Tag.

The Wordpress Tags are only used for organizing the internal links, an actual Wordpress Tag page doesn't exist in this theme.

screenshot4.png

Sidebar:

The Home page sidebar is widgetized with two separate widget areas. The very top of the right sidebar is Primary widget. The very bottom of the right sidebar is Primary2 widget. The Wordpress widgets page is located in the left Admin. sidebar at Appearance > Widgets.

screenshot6.png

Silo Landing Page:

The silo landing pages are Wordpress Parent Pages. The silo supporting pages are Child Pages. The theme has only been tested with a URL nested one child page, example: hxxp://mycars.com/dodge/grand-caravan.

screenshot5.png

Silo Landing Page Sidebar:

The silo landing page & supporting pages (Parent & Child pages) right sidebar automatically list all the links per current silo being viewed. The silo landing page link will always be located at the top of the list of sidebar links currently be viewed.

screenshot7.png

Right Sidebar Description:

The right sidebar description text is generated from a Custom Field on the currently viewed Wordpress Page. When you first create a Parent page you'll need to create a new Custom Field named silolandingpage (all lower case). The right sidebar description text works the same for top Navigation Pages & silo Parent Pages. If you don't want a text description in the right sidebar simply skip this part of the setup. You can always go back & update your pages with a description at a later time.

screenshot8.png

SEO Optimized Page Structure:

This theme is optimized to load the <h1> tag first on the HTML source code. The top site wide navigation links load at the bottom of the HTML source code. Compare the live webpage screenshot & the text cache of the same webpage below, notice how the top navigation links are actually loading at the bottom of the webpage. 

siloscreenshot1.png

siloscreenshot2.png

absolute1.zip

absolute2.zip

Web Hosting

Can we add widgets and a header image?

Yes, the right sidebar is setup with two different widget areas (top & bottom of the sidebar). The yellow image in the OP screenshot is HTML code placed inside a Wordpress widget.

I could add an image location on the left of the top navigation bar but it's going to have a very small height since the nav. bar itself isn't very tall. You could always brand the top of the right sidebar with a larger image If needed.

i remember seeing some of you guys talking about how bloated some (most?) of the themes out there are. im going to assume this theme is bare bones and lightning fast? this is one step up from a simple HTML site, yes? (yes i know wordpress is html, but you know what i mean).

im very interested in checking this out tonight. 

thanks again

i remember seeing some of you guys talking about how bloated some (most?) of the themes out there are. im going to assume this theme is bare bones and lightning fast? this is one step up from a simple HTML site, yes? (yes i know wordpress is html, but you know what i mean).

im very interested in checking this out tonight. 

thanks again

Yes, this is a very light weight theme. I built this from the ground up with the intention of removing fluff.

Compare the absolute1 silo theme file size (28KB) with a typical Themeforest theme (15MB). In comparison it would take 535 of my themes to equal a single average Themeforest theme file size.

Most themes try to be everything to everyone while this theme is focused on silos & hopefully a decent conversion rate with a good call-to-action at the top of the right sidebar, in content conversions & overall simplicity that won't distract traffic from what matters (conversions).

are there things i wouldnt be able to do with this theme that i may want at some point? 

where do the ads, just in the content? no banners?

i have it installed, working through the setup now.

speed tests were terrific (although no content yet, was still faster than previous theme 2104 with no content)

yukon, the image for the link back to spartan marketing academy is broken in my dashboard. not sure if its broken for everybody.

the link works, just the image is broke. 

just an fyi

so, not criticizing at all, this is just me trying to be helpful:

the guide on how to create navigation menu was a little difficult for me to figure out. im not unfamiliar with wordpress, but still had a little trouble. somebody with no experience would be dead i think maybe.

i would suggest making it clear that there are 2 steps involved with getting something to show up in the navigation menu (or making it clear to somebody who isnt an expert, which is probably a big portion of the users out there)

1. create a headerlinks1 tag on the left dashboard menu pages>tags

2. go to the page you want to add and at the tags block you have shown, type in (or choose) the headerlinks1 tag you created in step 1

yukon, the image for the link back to spartan marketing academy is broken in my dashboard. not sure if its broken for everybody.

just an fyi

Thanks for the heads up, I think I got it fixed now.

the guide on how to create navigation menu was a little difficult for me to figure out. im not unfamiliar with wordpress, but still had a little trouble. somebody with no experience would be dead i think maybe.

i would suggest making it clear that there are 2 steps involved with getting something to show up in the navigation menu (or making it clear to somebody who isnt an expert, which is probably a big portion of the users out there)

2. go to the page you want to add and at the tags block you have shown, type in (or choose) the headerlinks1 tag you created in step 1

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I'm looking for.

I'll try & explain the setup with a little more detail.

just an fyi

Thanks for the heads up, I think I got it fixed now.

yep, working for me now

are there things i wouldnt be able to do with this theme that i may want at some point? 

where do the ads, just in the content? no banners?

i have it installed, working through the setup now.

speed tests were terrific (although no content yet, was still faster than previous theme 2104 with no content)

You can insert ads anywhere inside the content with a Wordpress plugin or insert ads in the right sidebar with a Wordpress widget.

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I'm looking for.

I'll try & explain the setup with a little more detail.

no problem. i will give you more if i see anything. i tend to be nit picky though, so keep that in mind if i do post any other suggestions :)

not a suggestion, just a question:

it appears the idea is not to have a standard 'home page' like a welcome page, the idea is the home page gets right to business like in your example, the home page is 'big 3 manufactures' instead of 'home' but your domain is my cars, not 'big 3 manufactures'.

know what im sayin? do standard home pages subtract from the silo goal?

it appears the idea is not to have a standard 'home page' like a welcome page, the idea is the home page gets right to business like in your example, the home page is 'big 3 manufactures' instead of 'home' but your domain is my cars, not 'big 3 manufactures'.

It's up to you what you do with the home page but my suggestion is keep it as relevant as possible to your silo parent page subjects. My example Home page subject (Big Three Automobile Manufacturers) was an introduction to the 3 silo parent page links in the right sidebar (Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford).

It's up to you what you do with the home page but my suggestion is keep it as relevant as possible to your silo parent page subjects. My example Home page subject (Big Three Automobile Manufacturers) was an introduction to the 3 silo parent page links in the right sidebar (Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford).

how did you get the title of your home page (big three automobiles) to be different than the navigation menu? css? it that example page works like my install, then the title on that page should be either 'contact us' or 'about'. no matter what i have tried so far, the title on the page is the same as one of the nav links. 

edit: OK i figured this out. make a page called big 3 automobiles, do not add the headerlinks1 tag, and then set it as the static home page.

next step is try to figure out how the example homepage title isnt showing up in the sidebar. if anybody knows hwo to make this happen already, feel free to let me know so i dont pull all my hair out  :)

EDIT: figured this out, this was easy. just edit the page and remove the title. boom.

New problem: if i delete the title from the page, then the browser tab at top instead of showing 'home page - example site', it just says ' -example site'

how did you get the title of your home page (big three automobiles) to be different than the navigation menu? css? it that example page works like my install, then the title on that page should be either 'contact us' or 'about'. no matter what i have tried so far, the title on the page is the same as one of the nav links. 

edit: OK i figured this out. make a page called big 3 automobiles, do not add the headerlinks1 tag, and then set it as the static home page.

Yes, that edit part is correct.

You only add a headerlinks tag If you want the page (link) to be included in the top navigation.

next step is try to figure out how the example homepage title isnt showing up in the sidebar. if anybody knows hwo to make this happen already, feel free to let me know so i dont pull all my hair out  :)

EDIT: figured this out, this was easy. just edit the page and remove the title. boom.

New problem: if i delete the title from the page, then the tab at top instead of showing 'home page - example site', it just says ' -example site'

Sorry, I think I left that part out.

The 3 links on the Home page right sidebar are Parent pages, each of those 3 Parent pages have a Wordpress Tag homepage1 .

[edit]

OP updated.

New problem: if i delete the title from the page, then the tab at top instead of showing 'home page - example site', it just says ' -example site'

Sorry, I think I left that part out.

The 3 links on the Home page right sidebar are Parent pages, each of those 3 Parent pages have a Wordpress Tag homepage1 .

[edit]

OP updated.

fixed, works as expected. nice. thanks

tip for those following along at home:

whichever page you set as the home page should have no children (unless you want the sidebar looking weird). :)

yukon, regarding the list i sent you view pm, i figured out #5

in the instructions to add a right sidebar description, it says to create a custom field called 'mysilolandingpage' but it should be 'silolandingpage'.

i was using 'mysilo...' and i just noticed that in your screen shot in the instructions it only used 'silo...'

works for me now, you can cross that one off the list

:)

in the instructions to add a right sidebar description, it says to create a custom field called 'mysilolandingpage' but it should be 'silolandingpage'.

i was using 'mysilo...' and i just noticed that in your screen shot in the instructions it only used 'silo...'

Lol, dude you're killing me.  :D

I think I'll run any future projects by you first before they're released.

Seriously though, thanks for pointing these things out, I appreciate the help.

I've updated OP so it reads silolandingpage.

sorry for killing you :)

if you need somebody to find shit like this, let me know. i love it.

i havent really gone through your instructions looking for things, i was just reading them quick to try and get the theme set up, but i can definitely go through it and suggest revisions if you like. for example, the right sidebar description section doesnt have the screenshot of the where the text is displayed on the page. the screenshot is actually in the previous section. :)

for example, the right sidebar description section doesnt have the screenshot of the where the text is displayed on the page. the screenshot is actually in the previous section. :)

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  You asked for it 

Update,

I'm adding a Wordpress theme options page & you'll be able to add the silo links directly to the article/content with Wordpress shortcodes that will float either left or right, your choice.