Sign in to follow this  
yukon

Absolute1 - Wordpress Silo Theme

yukon,

Thanks for this awesome contribution man!

I have a question or two.

If I wanted to target local keywords by industry and locale would that still fit in with silo theory?

For example, the index would have five different local trades on the sidebar as categories, with ten child pages in each silo each targeting a different city/trade. Is this possible?

mysite.com

mysite.com/lawyers/

mysite.com/lawyers/philadelphia-lawyers

mysite.com/lawyers/new-york-lawyers

mysite.com/lawyers/boston-lawyers

Also, where do I use my exact match internal links? In a linear fashion from category page down to bottom of silo then back to homepage?

Thanks!

Web Hosting

yukon,

Thanks for this awesome contribution man!

I have a question or two.

If I wanted to target local keywords by industry and locale would that still fit in with silo theory?

For example, the index would have five different local trades on the sidebar as categories, with ten child pages in each silo each targeting a different city/trade. Is this possible?

mysite.com

mysite.com/lawyers/

mysite.com/lawyers/philadelphia-lawyers

mysite.com/lawyers/new-york-lawyers

mysite.com/lawyers/boston-lawyers

That URL structure looks fine, that's the way the theme is setup (Home > Parent Page > Child Page).

You could target different trades on the same site though I think it would work better If you were targeting the same cities across all or most of the trade silos. That way there's still a connection between all the different trades/keywords regardless If you're targeting lawyers in Boston, plumbers in Boston, restaurants in Boston, etc... You could do the same with additional trades/cities, example, lawyers in Philadelphia, plumbers in Philadelphia, restaurants in Philadelphia, etc...

Also, where do I use my exact match internal links? In a linear fashion from category page down to bottom of silo then back to homepage?

Thanks!

I think you might be asking about closing the silo loop since you mentioned the home page at the end of the link flow. If that's the case I wouldn't do that (link back to home page at end of silo just because you can) because it's pretty much defeating the whole point of a silo where pages are tightly grouped together.

It's possible to add a site wide navigation (top/right links above the right sidebar on OP screenshots) If you want a link back to the home page. I made the site wide navigation optional because I'm sure some folks might not want to push the limits too far, or might need site wide nav links for a better user experience.

BTW, those top/right site wide nav links load in the footer of the HTML to try & show they're less important from an SEO point of view.

Nice,

Thanks for answering my questions.

Without running a good amount of link juice through the site there will be minimal improvements though, no?

I installed the theme and added one parent page for a trade and one child page under it. I may have used suboptimal anchors on my parent page but I've seen some small improvements with 0 backlinks indexed at this point.

Thanks again!

Nice,

Thanks for answering my questions.

Without running a good amount of link juice through the site there will be minimal improvements though, no?

I installed the theme and added one parent page for a trade and one child page under it. I may have used suboptimal anchors on my parent page but I've seen some small improvements with 0 backlinks indexed at this point.

Thanks again!

Inbound links (IBLs) are still very important. If you're ranking with few IBLs it's probably weak SERP competition which isn't a bad thing but If future competition shows up one day they might see you're only ranking because the other competition is extremely weak & bump your page down the SERPs without much effort on external link building. Just something to keep in mind (long term).

Silos are useful & easy to build since you own the domain & have control over relevant link flow. Personally, I have several keywords where I rank multiple internal pages per each individual keyword, that's happening because of site structure (silos).

There will be times when you run into really tough SERP competition & ranking multiple internal pages from the same domain is extremely tough but the silo structure still strengthens the page that does rank because internal links pass authority just the same as IBLs from other domains. I've explained how that's easy to prove on another forum thread where multiple sites had high PR (pagerank) xml files from internal footer links, the PR from all the other pages was being funneled into the .xml sitemap. I know PR is outdated but the proof of internal links passing authority is still there.

Hi Yukon

Easy questions:

Absolute1 qeustion: Am I under the right impression that I don’t need to add links from children to parent in the content because the theme takes care of the linking? Im thinking if I added links in the content they would be redundant because of the way you created things. Am I mistaken?

General silo best practice questions:

So If I do need to add links, or if I was using some other theme, best silo practice would be to just link children to parent, or link each child to each other somehow and also parent? Lets say P and children 1,2,3,4,5. So 5-p, 4-p, 3-p, etc., or 5-4,5-p,4-3,4-p, etc? I think I asked similar before but I think it was on wf and I don’t want to go back there. ever.

Lets say I have an initial silo with parent and children and its beautiful, but lets say one of the children could really use children of its own. Would adding a string of children to a child weaken things or strengthen that initial silo? Im thinking you may say making a new silo would be a better idea.

Is the updated theme ready for download?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Yukon

Easy questions:

Absolute1 qeustion: Am I under the right impression that I don’t need to add links from children to parent in the content because the theme takes care of the linking? Im thinking if I added links in the content they would be redundant because of the way you created things. Am I mistaken?

The current version of the Absolute1 Wodpress theme does handle the internal link building as long as you setup a single Parent Page silo & then build a few Child Pages for that same Parent Page. So, yes, the silo internal link building is done automatically.

I'm currently working on a major update for the silo theme that IMO blows the current version away. I'll make an update post on that soon.

General silo best practice questions:

So If I do need to add links, or if I was using some other theme, best silo practice would be to just link children to parent, or link each child to each other somehow and also parent? Lets say P and children 1,2,3,4,5. So 5-p, 4-p, 3-p, etc., or 5-4,5-p,4-3,4-p, etc? I think I asked similar before but I think it was on wf and I don’t want to go back there. ever.

Lets say I have an initial silo with parent and children and its beautiful, but lets say one of the children could really use children of its own. Would adding a string of children to a child weaken things or strengthen that initial silo? Im thinking you may say making a new silo would be a better idea.

Is the updated theme ready for download?

Thanks in advance!

On most other Wordpress themes you can nest pages/URLs as deep as you want but that can quickly become a headache & get confusing. Personally I try to nest pages/URLs only 3 pages deep (Home > Parent page > Child page). That keeps the pages tightly grouped.

A lot of times large eCommerce sites have reasons to nest URLs pretty deep, personally I try to stay away from those types of sites, again, they're a headache to deal with (multiple product sizes, multiple product colors, etc...).

The way I look at silos is, think of a book, each chapter of the book would be a silo & all the pages in that chapter are focused on one sub-topic. The example screenshot below shows the Table of Contents for a book. Each of the titles with bold text would be a parent page on a silo, the page titles directly below the bold text titles would be Child supporting pages each focused on the same sub-topic. So in the screenshot example there would be 6 silos total on a website. The Home page would link to all 6 silo Parent pages & then each individual silo Parent page would link to all of that specific silo supporting pages.

To answer your question, If the pages aren't directly related to the silo I would build a 2nd silo.

258.png

I'm currently working on a major update for the silo theme that IMO blows the current version away. I'll make an update post on that soon.

OMG!!!1!!1! christmas in july!

you need any help? at worst i could help test it out

is this update going to include a spot for header image?

OMG!!!1!!1! christmas in july!

you need any help? at worst i could help test it out

is this update going to include a spot for header image?

I've added a place for a logo image in the top/left of the site wide navigation bar. Is that what you're asking?

Here's a couple screenshots below from the same Child silo page. The first image is a live webpage the 2nd image is the text version of the same webpage. Notice the in content left sidebar that contains all the silo links. This is awesome because you can place the silo links anywhere you want inside the content. The in content sidebar can be floated either left or right of the content/text via Wordpress shortcodes.

The text snippets below the silo links in the left content sidebar can be whatever additional text you want to optimize the silo pages for, they're Wordpress Excerpts with a text box on each Wordpress Page. This way you can squezze in additional search phrases/keywords & optimize all the pages in each specific silo for the same group of search phrases & increase the chance of double or triple ranked pages per each keyword/phrase.

The screenshot below has 500 words for the content, notice how the left sidebar pushes the text down the page to make it look like a lot of text. The original right sidebar can also include more ads, optin forms, etc... as needed. that's now a single sidebar in the Wordpress Widget area of the admin.

I hate to toot my own horn but I'm proud of that in content silo link sidebar feature with custom descriptions. I worked on that for about 3 days trying to get the results I wanted in as compact source code as possible.

I still have some fine tuning to do with the 3 banner ad spots.

I'm also working on premium theme style admin. options, the top/left logo image in the screenshot is loading from an admin. option page. The logo is also clickable & links to the Home page (still loading top nav links in the footer).

Once I get this first silo theme finished I would like to monetize other themes, maybe make a few additional themes. I've decided to keep this Absolute1 theme free regardless how many times I update the theme but I might charge an average Wordpress theme price (ex: $40) for future themes. This stuff is very time consuming.

11gg.png

22gg.png

Awesome work, Yukon! I've been impatiently waiting for you to create a silo theme. I'm going to play around with this and send you some imput, if any is needed.. Great work!

Ok, I struggled to get this version of the silo theme wrapped up, the forces were working against me all evening, but I finally got the theme zip file uploaded to the OP.

I've been working on this all day & I'm tired, I'll try & explain a bit of how to use the theme.

The theme (2.0) is structured pretty much the same as version 1.0 only the silo links on Parent/Child pages are now directly inside the content. The in content silo sidebar currently only floats left with CSS. You have to add a Wordpress shortcode inside each Page that you want to include the silo sidebar. The shortcode is exactly [silo_left] .

The description text below each link in the silo sidebar is text from each individual Page excerpt so you'll need to add that new text per each Page.

The silo sidebar excerpt below the Parent page link doesn't work yet, I'll need to work on that later on. You can still go ahead & add the excerpt text for the Parent page now & it will be ready whenever I get the code for that finished up (future theme update).

The path to the premium style Wordpress admin. options is:

• Wordpress admin page > Appearance > Theme Options

You'll see two tabs, Header & Banner Ads.

The two option  pages should be self explanatory. If you have any questions, I'll try & explain in more detail If needed.

havent looked at it yet, but thanks yukon for all the effort

i wont be able to do anything with it until monday night probably, but im excited!

havent looked at it yet, but thanks yukon for all the effort

i wont be able to do anything with it until monday night probably, but im excited!

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention anytime you make an edit on the admin option pages make sure to click the blue Save Changes button at the top or bottom on the right side of the page.

The theme looks good,

Just wondering, with version 2 can we still chose to have the skyscraper ad on the right instead of the left? 

I haven't played with it yet, but I think this answers it:

The in content sidebar can be floated either left or right of the content/text via Wordpress shortcodes.

The theme looks good,

Just wondering, with version 2 can we still chose to have the skyscraper ad on the right instead of the left? 

I haven't played with it yet, but I think this answers it:

The in content sidebar can be floated either left or right of the content/text via Wordpress shortcodes.

Version #2 doesn't allow floating the in content sidebar right, yet. I will do a minor update soon & get that working. 

hi yukon

i am checking out 2.1

i notice when i switched themes from 1.0, i lost the ability to get back to the home page.

with absolute1 theme installed, my nav bar shows 'home' 'parent' 'parent' 'parent'.

without changing any pages and just switching to 2.1 theme, the nav bar only shows 'parent parent parent'. if i go to a parent, i cant navigate back to home page.

im just assuming that because i didnt change any page settings or tags, i shouldnt have lost the home link in the nav bar, but i could be wrong.

any guidance on this?

thanks!

hi yukon

i am checking out 2.1

i notice when i switched themes from 1.0, i lost the ability to get back to the home page.

with absolute1 theme installed, my nav bar shows 'home' 'parent' 'parent' 'parent'.

without changing any pages and just switching to 2.1 theme, the nav bar only shows 'parent parent parent'. if i go to a parent, i cant navigate back to home page.

im just assuming that because i didnt change any page settings or tags, i shouldnt have lost the home link in the nav bar, but i could be wrong.

any guidance on this?

thanks!

hmm, i think i am going to find out that the header image is the home page link?

edit: yep, header image is the homepage link. i can dig it. :)

hi yukon

i am checking out 2.1

any guidance on this?

thanks!

I didn't change anything on the Parent/Child structure. My demo site is still setup the same way as version 1.0 with Parent/Child pages.

The top/right nav. text links still work the same as version 1.0, add a Tag named headerlinks1 to whatever Parent Pages you want to show up as text links in the top/right nav.

Starting with version 2.0 If you add an image logo to the top/left of the nav bar it adds a link to the Home page like most sites. The top logo image loads in the Home link HTML in the footer of the source code.

hi yukon

i am checking out 2.1

any guidance on this?

thanks!

hmm, i think i am going to find out that the header image is the home page link?

Yes, the header image/logo is the Home page link but the top/right nav links haven't changed.

I'm sorry, that link code was removed. I don't remember doing that but it's obviously been removed on 2.0.

The rest of the top/right nav links are still working on my end.

I'll update again here in min...

Ok, I added the top/right Home Nav link to version 2.1

I guess I'll need to go back & make that link an option inside the admin because it's adding a 2nd Home link to the page (left logo image link + right text link).